This is going to be a composition of stories from a collection of events that have occurred throughout my time thus far here in South Africa...but especially today.
I suppose one should expect that services will differ from one country to another...and yes, I did anticipate this would be just another of those changes to which I must adjust. From day one I experienced services I did not receive in America...such as parking lot attendants. Most every shopping center is gated and watched by security. Once in the center, you look for a place to park. The difference here? There are people in special vests all over the place competing to be the one who directs you to the best parking spot. Once parked, the attendant makes sure they are noticed by you and continues to the next waiting vehicle. On the way back to the car- packages or not- you receive assistance. Just the other day my friend and I were actually directed back to our car after walking down the wrong aisle in the lot...the guy remembered us! (I thought to myself, that is so nice!) Then we deposit our packages and purses into the "boot"(trunk for you Americans!)and get into the car. This is where it gets a little nerve racking for me. The lot attendant stands directly behind the car, waving you back, telling you to stop, etc., according to the flow of traffic. I feel like I must look like a pre-teen learning to drive as I back out so cautiously...for fear of hitting the lot attendant! Once you are backed out successfully, it is considered proper to tip the lot attendant about five rand...or around 60 cents. This is all the payment the lot attendants receive, so I do try to make sure I have the change on hand prior to departure.
Similar to most big cities, traffic can get pretty thick around certain hours of the day here in Joburg. No need to fear boredom, however. Lined up between lanes of traffic are people selling items of all shapes and sizes. You want a paper? They got it. A drink? Sure thing! Sparkly beaded giraffe? Look no further! Unfortunately I will most likely not partake in this service while I am here. For one thing, one can never be sure who is safe to buy from. For another thing, there are far too many people to buy from just one. I have seen it happen while waiting in traffic. Guy has his window down...seller approaches with a paper....guy buys paper...5 other sellers follow on previous seller's heals...guy can't escape until traffic moves forward.
Yesterday my friend, Kelly and I ventured our way out to a new part of town. We were determined to pick up phone books from the one location we were told distributed them...the Halfway House Post Office. With our wonderful navigating and driving skills, we found it and I found a great place to park in a parking garage. We got out of the vehicle and I was immediately approached by a "lot attendant" (or so I thought). He asked "May I watch (wash!!!) your car?" "Sure!" I replied, thinking, "that is so nice of him to offer to watch my car! I enjoy these lot attendants!" I then asked him to point us in the direction of the post office, which he gladly did. He even asked how long we would be gone, again I thought, "how kind of him! He is going to make sure nothing bad happens to us and we aren't gone too long!" As we are walking away, Kelly turns to me and says "I can't believe you are going to let him waSH your car!" Oh no!!!!!!! I totally thought he said "WATCH" my car! Oh well, too little too late. We returned about an hour later to find him cleaning the car next to mine. I ask "How much do I owe you?" He says "R50" (about $6). I say "sorry, I only have R30." He says, "but which one do you want?" and points to a price list. Thinking to myself, "duked again..." I say "the cheapest one. But you already washed it, right?" And he says "yes" and points to the most expensive. Long story short, I guess I got the most expensive wash for only R30...because I stood my ground. I will not be giving anyone permission to "watch" or "waSH" my car again!
And today. As usual, I stocked up the pictures on my flashdrive before taking them to be printed. This morning, Kelly and I went to Fotofirst, a picture developing place in Sunninghill. I selected my pictures, making sure the "matte finish" was checked and, of course, an employee took over and completed my order. BUT, the order didn't print. So, I had to go to the master computer and show him which pictures were mine. Then, I paid R350 (about $40) for my 120 pictures. (You have to pay prior to printing here). Two hours later, Kelly and I returned to pick up our pictures. Mine were glossy. All 120 of them. I told the guy I wanted Matte. His reply "you have to pay again." "What?" I stated "but I checked matte on the computer." He then proceeds to explain that "Kelly said she wanted glossy, she told us. You should have told us. It's your fault. No refunds." Fighting back tears and the verge to scream, I grabbed my pictures and stated "I am never coming back!" Ben called the store later. Same reply. They refused any kind of refund. So I called Corporate. They said "they are a free range store, there is nothing we can do" and they HUNG UP on me! I wrote a letter. We will see what happens.
After the photo store, I went to our South African ATM to pull out some Rand (cash). I entered my pin...didn't work. I asked Ben for the pin...it didn't work. I tried it one more time, thinking I muse have entered it wrong. Again, denied. And it deactivated my card! So, I went directly into the bank and gave her my ID to get it fixed. She looks at me with an exasperated look "is this your ID?" "Yes." She says rudely, "What did you have when you opened your account? Your passport. You HAVE to have your passport to reactivate your card." Oh man..those tears...ever so threatening!!!! I grab my cards, and again, storm out.
What a day. Really? I can't believe the service here in South Africa. At least in the Chili Lane, Sunninghill shopping center. I have never felt so much disrespect in my life. Anyway, I included the first two stories to try and offset these last few. Not all service is horrible here...but I had a few bad run-ins today. Wondering about those tears? I allowed them to release once I got home.
No comments:
Post a Comment