Wednesday, April 23, 2014

with Him


April 20, 2014  EASTER


 I wonder how quickly my children will discover their Mommy is a slow processor?  Will they notice their Mama’s “shyness” and/or “introverted tendencies?”  In group settings, I often have a hard time answering a question right off the bat.  I have to think about it, ponder, and even write out my thoughts.



 For example, one might ask a question and I will be awake that night thinking about my answer.  And the next night…. And even one week, two week, three weeks later.   I used to feel ashamed of my slow processing.  My seeming inability to converse easily in groups of people, especially among fellow Christians.  These past few months have been, for lack of better words, BIG for me.  Full of growth.  A deeper understanding.  Clarity.  God is allowing me to see myself more like He sees me.  And others as He sees them.  Beautiful.  Unique.  All a necessary part of His Body… created by Him and for Him.  Introverts, extroverts, doers and thinkers, artists and athletes… the list is endless.  Because we are all so different.  So beautifully and uniquely made.



I pray my kiddos will know they are beautiful because He made them.  And they will recognize all of the detailed ways God has designed their very being to bring Him glory.

So I want to share this story with my kiddos…

A few weeks ago I was sitting with a group of Christian women and our discussion revolved around Jesus’ resurrection.  One woman asked the question, “But why didn’t He (Jesus) just stay dead?  Keep paying for our sins?”

When this question was asked in this small group setting, I was initially taken aback.  My first thought was, “because the Bible says so!  Because He had to be raised up!”   My second thought- and all those following- flowed from the fact I had never really thought about the why.   I have never not known of Jesus.  He has always been a known part of my life.  But I had never considered why He had to be raised.  And why did God plan it that way?

As I thought about Jesus dying for my sins and for all sin and brokenness that ever was, is and ever will be… my heart felt heavy.  But the thought of Jesus staying dead to pay for all sins forever and ever, buried alone in a grave… breaks my heart.  I cannot fathom Heaven without Him there, alive.  More than that…I realize I could not begin to think of approaching Heaven without Jesus there to stand before me.  Covering me with His love.  Loving me with His Grace.

But then my thoughts go further.  The Bible repeatedly says throughout Scripture that we were “with Him.”  “In Him.”  (I’d reference here but it really is everywhere!  So I will just point you to Matthew.  And our Easter sermon found us in Colossians 2 vs 6-3 vs 4… which is where my brain did some “exploding” as I call it when I see how God is teaching me.)  Jesus was created in our image, fully human and fully God.  In order for my sins to be taken away, they had to be buried WITH Jesus.  So, even though I was not physically there, I was buried WITH Jesus.  And if Jesus had stayed dead, then so wouldn’t I stay dead when my time comes?  Wouldn’t also my children stay dead?

I know that’s what I deserve.  Because though I am a “good” person, I know I am in desperate need of the Savior.  Every day I sin.  My patience is short.  I think something judgmental.  I ignore my responsibilities.  I choose to be lazy.  I spout out evil words.  I do not love as I should.  The list is endless. 

That’s why Jesus came to Earth.  He, GOD became human.  Like me.  And His patience was endless.  He didn’t judge.  He didn’t ignore His responsibilities.  He wasn’t lazy.  He didn’t spout evil words.  He always loved.  The list was endless. 

Jesus was faced with every temptation.  Every trial.  Every pain.  Every loss.  Every hurt.  And He triumphed over every single one.  He lived perfectly. 

Jesus lived perfectly for me.  (And for you, sweet Charlotte and Cale…)

Jesus lived perfectly because He knew that we couldn’t.  He loves us and He knows we need a covering of grace.

And because Jesus is God, He did not stay dead.  That’s my final answer to that question.  Jesus didn’t stay dead because He could not stay dead.  Jesus is God.  He conquered all sin.  He had to conquer death and be raised up. 

The crazy part is that we get to be raised up too, kiddos.  That’s the thing to sing and dance about and eat lots of Peeps about (you two are crazy about Peep candy!!).  The reason we get to be raised up, the reason we don’t “only” get His grace, love and forgiveness is because Jesus conquered death and was raised up.

“When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.”  Colossians 3 vs 4

1 comment:

Austin & Terri said...

Love this :) Thanks for sharing.