Thursday, May 14, 2015

This time around: Beau.

Beau's room.  I'm not a fan of the wall color... but neither I nor Ben were up for the task of repainting the space!  I painted his Bible verse on the sign below his name, which Ben put together.  I also made the mobile last minute... when I was in super-crafty nesting Mommy mode.  That wore off this week.  The blanket on the chair was sewn by my Grandma Carol and I finished it off with a navy blue binding.  I sewed the quilt and crib skirt for Cale, probably my favorite quilt to date!  The map is from Ben's Perspectives class.  The elephant from our good friends.  Charlotte and Cale decorated the book shelf, Charlotte even "wrote" a little book for him, look closely at the top left of the shelf behind the bright blue book.  And not pictured here is an old roll top desk inherited from Ben's Grandma Esther (whose birthday would have been today, we miss her dearly!).  There's also a special afghan blanket on the changing table that was knitted by my Great Grandma and passed down to Beau from my Grandma Joyce- she remembers wrapping her precious youngest baby in the blanket and has held on to it until now.  Such a sweet treasure for Beau!  I think those are all of the "special" items in Beau's room.  I just wanted to take note of these things!



Okay, Beau. COME ON OUT!  I'm ready for you!  We are ALL ready for you!


 This time around, pregnancy has been quite different for me.  (But then, as I type that out, I am reminded of the truth that every pregnancy for every woman is different.) 

Also, over the last year, God has revealed to me different areas of my life where I have clung to and am clinging to things- and I have been held back from the beauty of all He wants to give me.  One area I hide in is control (another of mine is FEAR, namely fear of judgement… but I’ll save further thoughts on that for another day!).  Let me explain…

When I was pregnant with Charlotte, I took photos of my ever growing baby bump each week from multiple angles.  I kept a detailed journal of every change going on within me, as well as with her and I took note of interesting and/or funny things that took place during that week.  Then, I put it up on my blog.  A lot of this had to do with the fact that we were in South Africa and I wanted my family in America to be up to speed.  I missed them dearly during that time!  Plus I didn’t really have a lot occupying my time and I simply enjoyed journaling.  I was also quite active.  I did my little pregnancy DVDs every morning in our giant bedroom, took walks, etc.  I was determined to keep myself as “in shape” as possible during pregnancy.  Looking back, while each of those things were good- are good!- I also recognize where I was doing some of it out of control and also fear of judgement. 

Then, with Cale, I was desperately clinging to control- and judgement.  My brain at the time:  Because, by gosh, I was GOING to keep the same journal and take the same multi-angle weekly photos and post them to our family blog no matter what!  No way was I going to let my “second child” suffer by not having this documentation.  AND I was definitely going to keep up with my exercise because that was a NECESSITY!  So during my pregnancy with Cale, I focused on sort of “recreating” my initial pregnancy experience with him.  I took photos, kept my journal, blogged and did my daily work-out DVDs.  Again, these things were good- are good- and I am overall glad that I did them!  It’s fun to look back at my journal and the activity from the pregnancy DVDs helped a lot.  Perhaps more than I realized at the time… ha!  However, in reading through those journals, I also see evidence of my control idol and fear of judgement.  Again, something else I don’t think I quite realized at the time…

I need to take a moment and just say…. I am soooo SOOO thankful for JESUS.  I am so very blessed to be His daughter.  And I am so grateful that He has gently spoken into my life and is opening my eyes more every day to these areas of struggle in my life.  Oh and I know there are more, but He is good and He does not give me more than I can handle.

So….this time around. 

When we discovered little Beau was growing within me, I was in the midst of learning more about myself with God’s gracious help.  At the time, I had fallen way behind in keeping our family journal/blog.  That control idol of mine tried to creep up and say, “HEY!  You gotta document this, lady!  You’re losing at life!”  But God squashed that.  He reminded me… to slow down and ironically run after and enjoy my two littles.  And naps filled my “free time,” if ever there was any!

I decided early on that I wasn’t going to stress over keeping up with the same standards of my previous two pregnancies.  Instead, I was going to simply go with the flow.  I attempted to work out around 2-3 times a week… but that didn’t always happen.  Especially between the months of November- March.  I ended up with one virus after another, including shingles on my face and multiple stomach bugs, constant congestion, fatigue, you name it.  Every now and then I would take a photo of my growing Beau bump or convince Ben to take one.  I’d write a sentence or two in attempt to document, but then I’d get tired or my attention would be redirected.  I spent more of my “free time” enjoying my children as individuals.  Read my Bible more.  Prayed more.  Thought a lot.  Sewed and created more; which has been such a fun outlet for me to enjoy.  Cooked better meals for my family, mastered some of my favorite baking recipes.  And, of course, I napped!

In these areas, this pregnancy has been much more relaxing.  More reflective, I suppose.  I slowed down and enjoyed life.  I don’t have weekly photos and stories “documented” in our family journal/blog, but I savored the moments we were in as we were in them.  And I think that is good.

However, this pregnancy has also been much more challenging physically for my body.  I’m sure there are a collection of contributors.  My body is older.  My immune system was more susceptible to sickness (maybe because of chasing my two littles!).  This is my third pregnancy.  And I’m simply busier in general.  This “little Beau bump” is measuring two and a half weeks ahead of his due date, which means he is likely going to be larger than my already big babies (Charlotte was 8 lbs 10 oz and Cale was 9 lbs 7 oz).  I didn’t do my pregnancy DVDs and therefore I didn’t stretch daily.  I noticed a heavier strain on my low back and hips early on and my Doctor referred me to a physical therapist in January.  Oh sigh.  I thought I’d be fine.  I waited until MARCH to finally pursue physical therapy.  So for the past few weeks, I’ve been going twice a week to physical therapy for a deep tissue massage, basically.  Had I gone earlier, I probably would have been able to work on more strength building in my hips and low back to combat the pain.  I’ve made a mental note (and now a “documented note!) that if I get pregnant again, (because I do still want four children…) I will need to be more intentional about stretching.  That to say… I’m pretty sure that the consistent stretching during my first two pregnancies helped greatly in preventing some of the pain I have experienced this time around!

So here we are.  Less than a week away from Beau’s eviction date: May 20, 2015.  Beau’s movements are very long and strong.  Kind of like long, deep stretching (lol, is he trying to make up for my lack thereof!?).  He gets the hiccups fairly often and has given me terrible heartburn no matter what I do or don’t eat!  I have this picture of him as a very deep thinking individual.  I know, it may seem silly to have this idea “just” from carrying him in my womb, but I guess you could say it’s a mother’s intuition.  We will see how that pans out in years to come.  I smile in anticipation of seeing his face for the first time.  Discovering his eye color, hair color (I’m picturing a lot of dark hair?).  Placing my finger in his grasp.  Holding him close in my arms.  Seeing him with his big brother and sister, his Daddy.  (And of course I’m also looking forward to my breathing regularly and walking without pain and regaining my strength and agility!!)

I’ve prepared Beau’s room.  I’ve sewn him a quilt and a couple of blankets as well as some hats.  I took some photos this week… and I’m taking time to record some of this now because it feels right.  

I think I will tie this little journaling up with a few funnies I can recall from Beau’s time around in my body:

*At church (I think this was in March) a kid around the age of three came up to me when I was wearing a flowy but fitted over the belly gray maternity dress.  He proceeded to try and lift my dress in all seriousness because he wanted to see the basketball under there.  LOL!  No worries, I kept the dress down and explained there was no ball, just a growing baby.

*At my final Doctor’s appointment this week, my Doctor asked how I am feeling.  I told her the pain is just more intense this time around.  She said, “Well, it’s because you’re a little girl with what I believe is a BIG baby.  OH!!  I’m sorry, I mean, you’re not a little girl, you’re a petite woman, but…”  HAHAHA, so glad I can laugh this time around at comments such as those!

*This past weekend we went to a shopping area to get some much needed new clothes for Ben.  While he was paying for the items, I took the kids outside to play around a fountain.  It was a very busy area and I noticed a little boy around the age of 9 or so noticing me.  I also took note of said boy’s Dad sitting nearby eyeing his son.  Anyway.  The boy finally caved, ran over to me and laid his hand firmly (actually quite HARD) upon my belly and yelled, “WHAT’S IN THERE!?!?!?!?”  The Dad was mortified and apologized quickly, fleeing the scene of the crime with his boy.  Now now, I must admit.  I did not laugh at this.  Because it was a hard touch and I was feeling rather uncomfortable, I even think I was in the midst of a Braxton Hicks (false contraction), which means my belly was as hard as a bowling ball.  I grabbed my own two kids and hustled (lol,very pregnant woman hustling with two little kiddos in tow!) back into the store with Daddy.  He said I looked furious.  Yeah… I was.  But I cooled down.  And I realized I was wearing the same dress as I had worn previously when the much younger curious boy noticed my Beau belly.  That made me smile a bit.  Needless to say, I am laying that dress to rest, much to Ben’s dismay.  He says it’s his favorite pregnancy dress I own.  So sweet.

*Charlotte loves to kiss my growing belly and talk to Beau.  She gets real close and whispers things to him.  She has been very in tune with this pregnancy.  She will sit there and map out where she believes his head, arms, bottom, tummy, hands, etc. are all located.  And she is usually quite accurate!

*Cale sometimes thinks my extremely popped out belly button is Beau.  LOL!  Cale often says things like, “Beau, you poop in a DIAPER!”  Then he laughs hysterically at himself, because that is his funny thing that he says to everyone right now.  If you receive this message from him, you have just been dissed by my two year old spitfire Cale.

*Ben and I went to the Royals game on his birthday (May 2).  As we waited in line to enter the stadium (it was Salvador Perez Bobblehead giveaway night!), three of the ushers (all men over the age of 50) stepped right up to me and said, “Are you gonna make it!?  Good for you!”  It made me laugh that they all had the same input.  I didn’t tell them that I was actually HOPING Beau would indeed decide it was his birth day and begin his debut at the Royals game… because I think that would be a cool story!  Call me crazy… but I like baseball and the Royals are my favorite…

*Last week on Mother’s Day we went to the Melting Pot for dinner.  It was delicious.  But it took FOREVER- over three hours!!!  By hour three, I was feeling quite uncomfortable and more than a little loopy.  I was seated next to my bro-in-law, Matthew (he is 19 and about to graduate high school on May 19- which is why I chose to wait until May 20 for Beau’s delivery because I want to see Matthew graduate in person!).  Anyway.  I don’t remember what was said, but we somehow got on this laughing kick.  And when Matthew and I get to laughing together, we just don’t stop.  Plus I think I muttered, “I gotta stop laughing so I don’t go into labor and laugh this baby out!”  Tears were rolling.  Contractions were happening.  Aw, what a stress relieving moment!  LOL!

*Physical therapy child care lady.  She always has comments and opinions for me.  “OH, you’re having a C-SECTION???”  “OH, you have bad back pain?  You are DONE after this one RIGHT?”  “Sheesh, you’re still coming to physical therapy?  Don’t have that baby HERE.”  “Tsk, tsk.  Cale doesn’t have socks on with his cowboy boots.”  (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! No, my two year old dressed himself, which I am thrilled about because that means I didn’t have to wrestle him on the floor into clothing.  So yeah… he forgot his socks today.  Oopsy.)  She has shared many other opinions with me regarding other topics.  Again, I am SO THANKFUL God is redeeming me from my fear of judgement bit by bit and her opinions haven’t torn me down as they would have in the past!


So there we have it.  I’ve journaled a bit.  And shared photos.  You can come now, Beau.  I know I wanted to wait until after Matthew’s graduation, but maybe if you come today or tomorrow, you could see him graduate in person with us!

Charlotte and Cale's art work for Beau's room.  I thought it would be fun to put their work on clip boards so they can change it out as they continue to create.  Then, eventually, I am sure Beau will add his own artwork to this space!  Charlotte's work is on the left, Cale's on the right.


My sweet girl was excited to be in the picture with Mommy and Beau.  Cale was more interested in playing with the baby toys...!

side view, 38 weeks pregnant, measuring 40 1/2 weeks pregnant.

You guessed it, the dress I am wearing in these photos is THE gray dress that attracts the curious attention of little boys.

No comments: