Charlotte, there have been so many moments lately with you
that I just want to press “RECORD” and/or “PAUSE.” But life doesn’t work that way, so I will
just do my best to “record” them here…
1-
Lately, I have been trying to include you in our
dinner preparations and cooking. It’s
partly my attempt at getting you to eat more variety and simply teach you… as
well as something fun for us to do together that doesn’t involve a toy or an
electronic device. Well, minus the mixer
and our stove…since it is electric and not gas.
Though I wish it was gas. Oh but
I divert.
ANYWAY!
The other day we made breadsticks from scratch. I divided though dough into 24 balls and you
proceeded to roll out each breadstick into a long stick- without my even
instructing you to do so! I felt so
excited to see you learning and using your mind in such a grown up way. I pulled out the camera because you were just
so stinking cute. And so focused! You made a big one for Daddy and then
specified one for yourself as well. The
breadsticks turned out marvelous and you even ate one, which is
impressive. We of course didn’t finish
all of those breadsticks that night, so we stored them in a Tupperware container. A few days later you spied the container and
you said, “OH! Mommy! We can’t forget to eat these.” So matter of factly. So big-girl.
3-
Today we attended a meeting for you about
preschool. After the meeting we went to
Target. While in Target, with a cartful
of groceries you say, “Mommy, I have to go potty.” Okay, so…. Easier said than done when in a
store with two children who require my upmost attention while lugging around a
cartload of purchases. I weighed my
options quickly. And determined that
since you had just used the potty before we left the preschool meeting, you
would be able to hold it. So I told you
to be strong and wait. Then of course we
both forgot about the potty in the hustle bustle of purchasing the items and
last minute temptations. Until we got to
the car. Cale was already buckled in and
half the bags were loaded. You started
whining you had to go potty. So, I did
what I usually do and pulled out the portable potty seat and a plastic
bag. Daddy hates that I do this, but
until he is a stay at home dad, he cannot dictate how we roll in the potty
business when out and about. (Honestly,
I prefer the portable potty chair when we are out and about because public
potties with you and your brother can be just disgusting and an absolute nightmare!! Soooo much easier. No nasty trash can within pudgy hands’ grasp,
no yucky-who-knows-when-it-was-last-cleaned-toilet, no jungle gym stall doors,
no dirty floors, no scary automatic flusher….etc.) You climbed up on the seat, because you have
no shame. You are such a champ,
truly! As I sat there waiting for you to
pee I noticed your expression. Cale
laughed-like he knew! And you said, “it’s
not funny, Cale!” And I said, “what,
Charlotte?” And you said, “I’m goin’
poo-poo.”
Oh wait.
Wait a second! Girl, I know you
are a pro-pooper and can poop basically anywhere but I was not expecting you to
poop in that portable potty chair.
Because up till now we’ve just gone pee-pee in that portable chair. I mean, it didn’t even cross my mind that you
had to poop. But you
did. And you DID. In a bag.
In the car. In the Target parking
lot. Oh, sweet girl, I love you. Sorry I made you poop in a bag in the car in
the Target parking lot. Next time, just
tell mommy you need to poop in the potty and I will lay down my control idol
and take you into the public potty for that deed. I’m guessing your Daddy is going to be a
little put out with me. Sorry, Babe!
And then, my sweet girl, I’ve also had some other thoughts.
As women, we are faced with a lot of challenges. We are smacked in the face with these images
of “perfection” which are truly unattainable.
But then we are presented with all of these false things that say, “you
CAN attain that perfection if you do THIS or eat THAT or look like THIS or read
THAT.” And then, the most disgusting
part is that we JUDGE EACH OTHER when we don’t do THIS or THAT. And we even judge each other when we DO this
or that. Maybe even moreso. There
is no area of womanhood that is not judged.
Appearance, cooking abilities, cleaning abilities, job, education,
community, sense of humor, birthing choices and birth stories in general,
photographs, our children, our pets, our style, our car, what we feed
ourselves, what we feed our family, our husband or lack-thereof, our family,
our relationships, our speech, our spirituality, our faith, our book
collection, our bathrooms, our past, our dreams…. The list never ends.
It’s horrible. And I
don’t know any woman who does not fall prey.
Myself included. We send a text
message when an acquaintance did or didn’t do something. We talk in person and “lovingly” criticize
others. It just exhausts me and makes my heart heavier
than the heaviest thing I can imagine.
Lately, God has shown me pieces of myself. I have noticed that I (try to) present an
image to people that I got it together.
I think it is sort of a Suzy Homemaker image. And the thing is, honestly, that is NOT the
case! But when I know people are
watching, I make dinner from scratch. I
pick up all of the toys. I spot clean
the floors (I gave up mopping, just wasn’t working out for me). And I am kind of chameleon-like. I adjust myself to the person. The other day I found myself making a dumb
inappropriate joke because I knew the other people would laugh and I wanted
them to like me. But was that my sense
of humor? NO! I kicked myself all the way home after
because I could think of about 100 other things more ME I could have said or
done. And that’s not even the best
example I could give you.
I think I am afraid to let people in and see me for ME. I am so afraid of being judged that I don’t
present the real me to hardly anyone.
Because if I did, then that would mean they would judge the real
ME. Not the presented image of me.
I hate that I do this.
I hate that sin corrupts my thoughts and intentions. I hate that instead of being myself, instead
of letting others see and know the real me I live in fear. I pray that God will continue to press on my
heart and show me the areas He wants to refine.
I pray that I will listen and allow myself to be vulnerable. And I pray that as He does this, I will not
encounter harsh judgments from friends and acquaintances. But instead love, acceptance and friends who
will walk with me and gently speak into my life with me.
I long for you, Charlotte, to see ME. Not see a woman striving for perfection. Not see a chameleon-woman. I want you to see me as confident first in
Christ and who He has created me to be. A
woman who is not perfect and knows that, but doesn’t stop there. A woman who relies upon Jesus for help, who
trusts Jesus and knows that this life is impossible to live apart from
Him. I pray Jesus will be at work in
your heart as well. I pray you know you
can trust me. You can be yourself with
me and I will love you. I will stand
beside you and speak gently into your life.
I will support you and encourage you, but I will also lovingly correct
you teach you. And when I do so, I pray you
do not feel judged by me, but loved. (And
if I were ever to fall into that disgusting place of judging you, God would PUNCH
me in the gut right away!)
Oh, sweet girl. It’s
gonna be hard. But it will be so much
better if you just lean on His grace.
Rest in His merciful embrace.
Love, Mommy.






3 comments:
Amanda, I simply love that you are blogging! I didn't realize that before today but I started reading and couldn't stop! You're poopy story in the parking lot had me laughing out loud and your REAL confessions of how you want to please people moved me to tears...This is so beautiful! And the true you is so beautiful too. Thanks for being vulnerable enough to share, how courageous and what a gift to your precious daughter. Keep writing! I'm hooked!
Um, hey there. I love this. All the way from the amazing poop story to your revelations about when you struggle to show others your true self. Especially that part. I am on this relentless mission to be my true self no matter who's watching. It is NOT. easy. Oh girl. But it is SO worth it. You are brave. Keep going. KEEP GOING. Appreciate your heart, Amanda.
Thank you ladies for your sweet words. It is certainly a long walk and constant refining process but i do know that God is so much bigger than the messes i make! And He is working on my heart. Smetimes it hurts as i am sure you both know :). But it is good. He is good.
Post a Comment