I've mentioned before...I am nesting. Meaning I am preparing for Cale via sewing and organizing, gathering and arranging. So what does that mean for Ben and Charlotte?
They have undertaken their own projects and "to do lists."
And, as Charlotte would say...some "messes" have been made in the process...
Now, I know you are thinking, "that hardly looks like a mess!" Right? Well, I have only showed you part of the picture and I have not yet told you the story! So hold your horses.
On Ben's list...redo the hallway bathroom, install door in kitchen, build stairs from kitchen to back patio, organize the garage, redo wiring in hallway, redo wiring in living room, redo wiring in back bedrooms, replace all interior doors, clean out his closet (which will be Cale's closet!), watch the Royals and Sporting KC play some games, go golfing, and make/eat pork tacos.
Since Ben compiled his list, a few things have happened. The hallway bathroom remodel is not going to happen before Cale arrives. Thank our Good Lord God Almighty Ben came to his senses on that one! I'm pretty sure I would have lost it if he had attempted to conquer that project a midst my nesting.... And he has actually accomplished quite a few things on his list...
But first, let's discuss Charlotte's list. Distract Mommy and Daddy, make LOTS of messes, refuse to eat anything healthy, wake up in the wee hours of the night and call for "mamamamamamamamama," be super cute, master the art of finger painting, relocate organized objects from their special spots without telling mommy and daddy, copy everything mommy and daddy says or does, lock herself in the hallway bathroom and require the door to be smashed open.
Wait, what?
You read that correctly. As Daddy was working on his "to do list" and mommy was working on her "to do list," Charly of course decided to work on hers. And she somehow managed to lock herself inside the hallway bathroom. Now unfortunately the door hinges are inside the bathroom and so we could not simply take down the door. And the doorknob was super old with a key lock...to which we have no key (hence, Daddy's need to replace all interior doors!).
At first she thought it was fun. Daddy, Grandma (who was over helping Mommy with her "to do list") and Mommy stood assessing the situation as Charlotte laughed and played in the bathroom with Molly (yup, kitty was locked in there too!). We finally determined the door would have to be broken. So, I did what any sensible mother would do and I grabbed a small step stool, ran around outside and stood on the handlebars of that step stool so I could just barely see inside the window enough to get Charlotte's attention. She thought that was hilarious. Until Daddy started hammering and kicking at the door. That was kinda scary. And, of course, Molly was scared too. My two girls huddled against the wall (Molly against the window screen, truthfully) and watched the door be pummeled.
Daddy used his strength and finally managed to get that door open (but not without tweaking his ankle a bit with that final kick...oops....guess we aren't as young as we used to be!).
Charlotte just walked on out and got into her highchair to eat some lunch. Not a clue.
Perhaps the coolest thing Daddy has accomplished on his "to do list"- with MUCH HELP from his Dad is installing that kitchen door and back stairs.
| Yes, that's a pink swimming pool filled with debris from the remodel. It has yet to be disposed of... |
Oh yes, it is really quite wonderful if I don't say so myself. Although it still seems a bit surreal that I am able to just walk outside now without going through the garage obstacle course to get there.
I am extremely thankful for my husband and father-in-law's precision and expertise. They really crafted a lovely (and very useful!) set of stairs. And Charlotte loves to hold onto those spindles as she walks up and down those stairs every day. Thanks, "Papa Craig!"
And I pretty much love my door. Yeah, it's covered in mouth prints and finger prints from my sweet girl....but that's part of what makes it so great!
Of course the door installation and stair building did meet with a few hurdles and delays. Some rewiring was involved and that brick proved much tougher to cut than Daddy had anticipated (eh-hem....not gonna say anything.....). But Daddy has now knocked off two major projects from his "to do list." And I couldn't be happier!
And Papa Larry- my Daddy- popped by one day when we were out of town to install an extra outlet in our kitchen before Ben patches up the walls from the door installation. We walked in and Ben says, "Woooohohooow! Your dad's the MAN!"
Yup, I agree. We got some mighty men in this family!
And, Cale? You are most definitely included in that statement...
1 comment:
That looks so good! Love the new door!! Does Ben know how to change an old phone jack into an outlet by chance?
Post a Comment