31 Weeks
June 17, 2012
So I spent the day before my 31 week marker acting as photographer for my brother's wedding. It's funny, in the thick of it, I found bursts of energy and feelings that I could do things I probably shouldn't. Such as walk super fast, stand in dangerous positions (on ledges and things like that), stand on my feet all day, position myself in front of EXTREMELY LOUD BODY SHAKING speakers, crouch awkwardly, push through crowds of people who may have had a bit too much to drink, etc....all in order to get a "good" photo. But by the time about 9pm (Seattle time) hit...my body was feeling it. My feet were swollen, my back aching....but still I pushed on. Determination...or stuborness? I do not know. Just thank the Good Lord I did not go into pre-term labor! I will say...I did take note of the nearest hospital prior to the event. Just in case.
Anyway...I survived. Sunday dawned, Cale's 31 week marker, and I felt exhausted for sure. I probably appeared to be a zombie at times. My brother and sister-in-law probably thought I was a grouch. I would have attempted to explain myself, but, alas...I had not the energy to do so. So I just sat there in my exhausted and blank state.
By the time we hit the airport Sunday afternoon I was thinking there was no way I would make it home without falling apart. Especially when we were "rushing" through the Minneapolis airport to meet our connecting flight to Kansas City. (I use quotes on "rushing" because what a pregnant woman considers rushing and what a non-pregnant person considers rushing are two entirely different things!) I was carrying Charlotte and a small diaper bag. Ben had the camera bag, backpack and a duffel bag. I could hardly walk! My feet were swollen, one of my toes was stuck in a cramp and I was waddling like none other. Ben kept telling me to give him Charlotte, but she wanted Mama, so I kept going. I am positive I appeared to be exaggerating, but I assure you, it was real. Two of the golf-cart guys stopped to ask us if we wanted a ride. The first guy moved on after we said we could handle it. But the second guy insisted. I must have looked pretty pitiful. As he sped through the airport with my pregnant self and family on board, I couldn't help but laugh. The breeze and speed felt great after being on the stuff airplane...and being stuck at such a slow preggo speed for so long! Yes, that man was an angel.
Week 31 included very little sleep and inconsistent meals due to our travels. But Cale didn't seem to mind too much. He kicked and punched as much as usual. And he certainly felt to be growing accordingly. I've been told by a few people that my baby bump is very "round." I don't know what to say to that...so I just say, "yup, he's right there..." Oh sigh.
Perhaps my favorite comment from the week was when we went on a walking underground tour of Pioneer Square in downtown Seattle. It was our "date" since my parents watched Charlotte for us, thus enabling us to sneak away for a couple of hours. At the end of the tour as I washed my hands in the bathroom, a lady from our tour group stated, "You are just about the CUTEST pregnant woman I have EVER seen!!" I am pretty sure I beamed from ear to ear. She pretty much made my day and had I been in a more emotional mood (which has been often and unpredictable this pregnancy!) I might have cried tears of gratitude! This lady had no idea that I had to turn my shirt backwards before we began the tour because I had dropped something on my baby bump. She had no idea I had whined to Ben about feeling way huge and unattractive. She just genuinely paid me a tremendous compliment, thus warming this pregnant mama's heart! I told her I greatly appreciated her words and we conversed a little longer. She said that she spread out having her children and is very grateful she did. Because now she is still up to date with what teenagers are into. I think that is a good idea....we will see what/who God has in store for our future family!
Cale's about 3.3 pounds and should be around 16 inches long. And, according to one website, should be heading into another growth spurt. Oh goodness, what am I going to do!? I think I might burst!
Well, Mr. Cale...I can hardly believe we will meet you face to face in less than two months. Your growing inside me seems to be happening so fast! I am excited to meet you and hold you in my arms, to see you with your Daddy and sister. But it all seems so surreal. Sure, I am perfectly aware that you are in there! You remind me quite frequently, little man! But I just can't hardly believe it....I have a son. God gave us a son. It's you, Cale... I love you....
June 17, 2012
So I spent the day before my 31 week marker acting as photographer for my brother's wedding. It's funny, in the thick of it, I found bursts of energy and feelings that I could do things I probably shouldn't. Such as walk super fast, stand in dangerous positions (on ledges and things like that), stand on my feet all day, position myself in front of EXTREMELY LOUD BODY SHAKING speakers, crouch awkwardly, push through crowds of people who may have had a bit too much to drink, etc....all in order to get a "good" photo. But by the time about 9pm (Seattle time) hit...my body was feeling it. My feet were swollen, my back aching....but still I pushed on. Determination...or stuborness? I do not know. Just thank the Good Lord I did not go into pre-term labor! I will say...I did take note of the nearest hospital prior to the event. Just in case.
Anyway...I survived. Sunday dawned, Cale's 31 week marker, and I felt exhausted for sure. I probably appeared to be a zombie at times. My brother and sister-in-law probably thought I was a grouch. I would have attempted to explain myself, but, alas...I had not the energy to do so. So I just sat there in my exhausted and blank state.
By the time we hit the airport Sunday afternoon I was thinking there was no way I would make it home without falling apart. Especially when we were "rushing" through the Minneapolis airport to meet our connecting flight to Kansas City. (I use quotes on "rushing" because what a pregnant woman considers rushing and what a non-pregnant person considers rushing are two entirely different things!) I was carrying Charlotte and a small diaper bag. Ben had the camera bag, backpack and a duffel bag. I could hardly walk! My feet were swollen, one of my toes was stuck in a cramp and I was waddling like none other. Ben kept telling me to give him Charlotte, but she wanted Mama, so I kept going. I am positive I appeared to be exaggerating, but I assure you, it was real. Two of the golf-cart guys stopped to ask us if we wanted a ride. The first guy moved on after we said we could handle it. But the second guy insisted. I must have looked pretty pitiful. As he sped through the airport with my pregnant self and family on board, I couldn't help but laugh. The breeze and speed felt great after being on the stuff airplane...and being stuck at such a slow preggo speed for so long! Yes, that man was an angel.
Week 31 included very little sleep and inconsistent meals due to our travels. But Cale didn't seem to mind too much. He kicked and punched as much as usual. And he certainly felt to be growing accordingly. I've been told by a few people that my baby bump is very "round." I don't know what to say to that...so I just say, "yup, he's right there..." Oh sigh.
Perhaps my favorite comment from the week was when we went on a walking underground tour of Pioneer Square in downtown Seattle. It was our "date" since my parents watched Charlotte for us, thus enabling us to sneak away for a couple of hours. At the end of the tour as I washed my hands in the bathroom, a lady from our tour group stated, "You are just about the CUTEST pregnant woman I have EVER seen!!" I am pretty sure I beamed from ear to ear. She pretty much made my day and had I been in a more emotional mood (which has been often and unpredictable this pregnancy!) I might have cried tears of gratitude! This lady had no idea that I had to turn my shirt backwards before we began the tour because I had dropped something on my baby bump. She had no idea I had whined to Ben about feeling way huge and unattractive. She just genuinely paid me a tremendous compliment, thus warming this pregnant mama's heart! I told her I greatly appreciated her words and we conversed a little longer. She said that she spread out having her children and is very grateful she did. Because now she is still up to date with what teenagers are into. I think that is a good idea....we will see what/who God has in store for our future family!
Cale's about 3.3 pounds and should be around 16 inches long. And, according to one website, should be heading into another growth spurt. Oh goodness, what am I going to do!? I think I might burst!
Well, Mr. Cale...I can hardly believe we will meet you face to face in less than two months. Your growing inside me seems to be happening so fast! I am excited to meet you and hold you in my arms, to see you with your Daddy and sister. But it all seems so surreal. Sure, I am perfectly aware that you are in there! You remind me quite frequently, little man! But I just can't hardly believe it....I have a son. God gave us a son. It's you, Cale... I love you....

No comments:
Post a Comment