Aunt Pammy Half
Marathon
April 26, 2014
But then I started to notice I would also get emotional when
I would watch my brother wrestle when he was in high school. And a well of emotions would scramble up
inside me when I would march during marching band in high school. OR when I would witness a musical
performance. Or interact with someone
who was passionate about whatever it is they do… And that’s when I realized, the emotions were
not due solely to running, but more in reaction to passion.
Like I said about my dad and running… passion comes alive
when it is part of the design God has crafted in each individual. And it is beautiful…
and I cannot contain my reaction to witnessing the beauty of His creation.
(Note: I read a book titled, “A Million Little Ways” by
Emily P. Freeman recently and it spoke directly to my heart relating to God’s art
and passion alive in us. Such a powerful
read for me!)
A couple of months ago my little sister, Pam, told me she
was going to run a half marathon on April 26, 2014. It’s always been a dream of mine to run a
marathon, but I just can’t seem to get my body in motion to actually DO
it! I’ve tried running before and I do
enjoy it, but not enough to actually consistently run. And it’s incredibly easy for me to excuse it
away… “too busy with the kids…” “too tired…” “too much else to do…” “too cold…” “too hot…” etc. etc. So when Pam informed me of her half marathon….
I thought, go PAM! And I had a little
bit of “aww shucks, sure wish I could do it!”
So April 26 was this past Saturday. Charlotte, Cale and I drove to cheer her
on. And as we were driving to the first
spot, lightning struck in the distance and rain drops began to fall. We sat in our car. We waited.
The runners continued on their path, the rain drumming the road,
covering their backs. And that emotional
well inside me began to well up.
Then we saw Pam and I saw that passion etched across her
face, embedded in her stride. It was
beautiful. God is beautiful.
We drove around to various points to cheer Pam and her
friend, Aileen on in their first ever half marathon. Charlotte and Cale got a kick out of it-
though they did start to get a little antsy by the time we settled in at the
finish line to wait for Pam and Aileen.
It was all I could do to hold them off the “yellow brick road” finishing
line!
All of a sudden, there was Pam. It was as though something clicked inside her
and the passion ignited a flame. I think
the pictures say it all. You can just
see the passion in her face. The emotions. The beauty.
And there’s my Dad on the sideline… I see that same passion. That same beauty. A glimmer of something bigger than just a half-marathon
(though that is indeed, BIG!)… a glimmer of God.
And I wasn’t the only one to see it. That passion cannot be hidden. Jesus cannot be squashed down. The announcer saw it too, congratulating and
cheering “Pamela” on as she crossed the finish line. I don’t remember his exact words, but you
could tell in his voice that he too, saw that passion.
It was beautiful and it was contagious. Sure made me want to give running another
try! And I think I might just join my
sister on one of her runs this summer.
But the important thing here, the thing I want to make most clear….
It’s not the running that was beautiful. It was Jesus
alive that I couldn’t tear my eyes from.
His art inside my sister, my
Dad and others that day that stirred up that emotional reaction inside my
soul.
Congrats Pam and Aileen on your first ever half
marathon! May you continue to allow
Jesus to flow in you, through you, and out of your runner’s limbs! Running His path He has designed for you!

















No comments:
Post a Comment