Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cale, your room's ready.

 

That's right, Cale.  Your room is all set for you.  It's just awaiting the occupant: YOU!  And, as you can see, your big sister is also quite anxious to show you around and play together with you in this special space.

 

 Your room is quite large, mister.  Which actually made it kind of a challenge to decorate!  But we did it.  Charlotte shared a bunch of her toys with you....you can see her in a few of the photos checking to make sure they work just right.  And there are quite a few special touches in your room I would like to point out...

 

 There's your crib, a gift from Grandma Jill and Grandpa Craig....the sheets sewn by your Grandma Darcie....the crib skirt and small quilt sewn by me.  And you might also notice the little wooden dolphin and bear upon your toy shelf....those were made by your Great-Grandpa Dick, he was brilliant with wood work!

 

 Your Great Grandpa Connell made all of those little "mosquito houses" you see hanging from the mobile I put together for you.  Then there's the canvas I painted with the scripture we chose to pray over you.  And of course those stinking yarn wrapped letters I did of your first name.  (Those boogers took forever!  I wonder how long you will allow them to adorn your walls?  I am sure I will end up with them in a box....or hanging in my own room one day.  Lord knows they will not go to the trash.  Not after the time invested in creating them, young man!)

 

 I also sewed your curtains and the little pillows you see upon your bench.  Yup, I was pretty busy at that sewing machine.  But you're worth it!  Plus, I had fun.  Win/win.  Speaking of the bench, your Papa Larry made that for me when I moved into my first college apartment.  It has been an assortment of colors...but ended up white with a fabric covered seat in your room.  For now, anyway.  I am sure you will want something different in years to come. 



Your dresser and closet are stocked with clothing for you to wear, diapers to poo in, cute cloths for you to spit up on and blankets to wrap you in. 

And we will be moving that wonderful bassinet into our room next to our bed for the first few weeks of your life.  Because Mommy and Daddy will be a little more comfortable to have you next to us in those early moments.  Plus that means we don't have to move as much in the middle of the night to see to your needs.  Because you will be quite needy at first, mister!

By the way, we are quite fortunate to be able to borrow that bassinet from your cousins, Liz, Joe and Lydia!  They are awesome.  You will like them...and not just because they provided a bed for your early days.

And I suppose I should mention the map.  That was in our office....which your room used to be dubbed prior to your arrival.  Daddy received that from a class he took during college about mission work and we thought it would suit your room quite well for the time being.  I mean...you do have a lot of wall space in there!


 Daddy made you the white shelf above the changing table.  And your Great-Grandpa Connell made the little green bird house sitting on top of it.  I think we might use that as your "money bank."


 

 

 I sewed the little green overalls for you...my final sewing project before your arrival.  (I am done sewing until after you are born...and who knows when I will have time after that?!)

 

The green shelf next to the changing table was made by my daddy, your Papa Larry.  Though it was white until I repainted it for your room.  Green is so much more fun!   The blue frame is full of photos with you in my belly.


 

 Charlotte made these special paintings for you.  The top one was her first creation.  I gave her free reign of all of the paint at once and this is what she came up with.  The second one was done over a couple of days...I gave her one color a day.  Her first pieces of artwork, all for you, little man!

 And of course there's the glider rocking chair we scored from Craigslist!  And the larger of the two quilts I made for you.  I embroidered the corner with your name: "Cale Thomas" and it's meaning: "Sower of Truth." 

So there you have it.  Your room is ready, Cale.  And so is Mommy...and Charlotte....and Daddy.  We are ready for you.  So come on out now, ya hear?  WE LOVE YOU!

 
















1 comment:

Dana Butler said...

I love his room!! Adorable! And I am definitely stealing the idea of having older sib do artwork for baby's room as soon as we know whether we are getting a boy or girl.... Love, love, love it!!