Tuesday, June 19, 2012

now he's (also) "Papa"





That's my Dad and me nearly six years ago (July 28!) on my wedding day.  I hardly have the words to describe just how much I love my Dad.  We've always had a special bond that I have cherished- and continue to cherish!  I feel extremely blessed to be his daughter.

My Dad has always put us kids first.  If he needed a new pair of running shoes and we also needed a new pair of shoes, he continued wearing his old shoes until they would literally fall apart.  He'd wake up early- on school days even!- to make us a hot breakfast.  It may have had something to do with the fact that he also loved hot breakfast...but he would make sure we were fed first.  Even when we got to high school.  

We would spend many long hours discussing life.  I can't tell you how many nights I came home from a date with Ben or from work and he would be up and waiting to just sit and talk with me.  (Not lecture, but talk!)

I've always been proud to call him my Dad.  He's had his fair share of trials over the years and sure, we have butted heads on occasion, but what kid doesn't butt heads with their Daddy every now and then?

Now I get to see my Dad be a Grandpa...or "Papa" as Charlotte refers to him.  She loves her Papa.  And I love seeing the joy in her face when she sees him or hears his name or sees a truck (tutch as Charlotte says).  (My Dad is a truck driver!) 

We just returned from Seattle where we celebrated my brother's birthday, wedding and graduation (yowzas!).  My parents stayed in the hotel room next to ours.  One morning as I watched Charlotte sleep (yup, she slept in bed with us.  That little booger!), she suddenly opened her eyes, smiled and said, "tutch, Papa!!"  Then she giggled and laughed and continued to say "Papa."  I said, "Charlotte, does Papa make you happy?"  And she said, "Papa, tutch, happy!"  

Adorable.  Melts my heart.

Anyway...all this to say...I love my Dad.  And I love seeing him as a Papa to my children.  

Thank YOU Father Jesus for giving me the best daddy I could ask for!  And please continue to guide and direct his steps...


 




No comments: