Monday, July 13, 2009

Conquering the Mountain...of Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens!

Picture above is where we are headed...to the waterfall's base and then up the trail leading to the right and over the mountain. Picture below is just a South African flower of some sort...
The waterfall is pictured below.

And the two of us!
View from the top...awesome, eh? I love the clouds! Just wish the smog would reduce.
Ben and me at the top. I had slowed my breathing enough in order to take this picture.
Picture below is Kelly Gasper and me at the top of the mountain! We made it!

Our second stop for the weekend was Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens (http://www.sanbi.org/frames/sisulufram.htm). Kelly Gasper (another BV wife) and I envisioned paved walking trails through gardens...of course we knew we were also going to see a lovely waterfall- that was the cherry on top! However, at the base of the waterfall there is a map. And on that map there is a trail....that goes to the top of the waterfall, across the mountain and down again. As expected, the guys were totally pumped to hike the trail! Kelly and I thought "sure we can hike to the top and then back down." But, we got to the top (me panting and out of breath...seriously, I thought my 45 minute work-outs were getting me in shape!!) and the boys kept going. They were basically running to the top of the mountain.

As always, I felt tuckered out and ready to give up...but they pushed me forward...and I made it! I will admit, the view was lovely...again, as is usual in the case of my mountain "climbing" experiences! Totally worth the climb. I can't wait to take visitors there. Of course we will be more prepared. We will bring water bottles and trail mix. Yes, we hiked the trail without either one. Obviously, this wasn't in my original agenda!

It was fun snapping pictures and viewing the city from so high above. When we made it to the bottom, we continued to sift our way through the gardens...stumbling upon many smokers along the way. That will never stop surprising me. The number of smokers here in South Africa far outnumbers those of the states. And in PARKS of all places! I suppose I am at times, overly dramatic when I walk by these smokers. I usually cover my face and walk real fast. Ben finds it embarrassing. In my defense, I don't ALWAYS behave in such a nature. Just when I am feeling like a spit-fire. And, unfortunately, due to my level of inactivity, that can be often.

Anyway, all that to say..it was lovely. I most definitely would like to visit the park again..and hopefully with guests in the future! Oh...did I mention they, too, sell ice cream? That was my reward at the end of the day. Aww, I love ice cream.

No comments: