Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Seclusion


It's typical of a rainy beach vacation that the day we leave would be the day that is sunny and warm. We did not have time to swim or bathe in the ocean. But we did have time to sit upon the sand and climb across the boulders. After finding a beach tucked away between stacks of boulders(complete with boulders!), we did just that.

The beach wasn't completely empty, however. A lonely seal appeared to have the same idea as us... a private day on the beach. He lounged on the sand for some time, then made his way out into the tidal pool, turning and twirling through the water. I wished I could swim with him!

Boulders loomed around us, taunting us. So, we pushed through the lactic acid and forced our stiff legs to climb the boulders in order to locate a secluded area to watch the waves crash against the rocks. It was beautiful. Peaceful, serene...



Our legs were weak and we returned to the sand to lay back and watch the sea for what little time we had left. Our seal was back, his body sprawled between the rocks. We concluded he must not be well, for he allowed us to get quite. A Beach patrol officer confirmed our theory and he set to work, rounding up some fellow officers to check on the seal. I was just glad the seal had his final hoorah in the ocean. He appeared so happy and free just moments before...

Our time at the beach was up as well...though not in the same form as the seal. We had a plane to catch. We did what we could to preserve those precious moments spent on the beach...capturing pictures and video of our secluded beach.

Someday. We'll return.

And that, my friends, concludes our first collection of adventures in the Cape...

5 comments:

Kelley said...

Love all your pictures and adventures in Cape Town! Glad to see you all having a relaxing weekend and enjoying all that God has surrounded you guys with! Also, kinda jealous you have a beach near by :) This morning we woke up and it was 45*... burr. At least your pictures make me think warm thoughts!

Mom-Darcie said...

Amanda I love how you write, so beautiful, you are a natural!!

Benanda said...

Thanks and thanks! Don't be too jealous Kelley, it's still about an 1.5 hr flight away ;) But hey, I can't complain!

Wade Greening said...

Lactic acid!? I read that and was immediately intrigued. Please write more posts on lactic acid build up in South Africa!

Benanda said...

Well, I would, but it was painful to experience. Maybe if it's about someone else's lactic acid...