Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Kelly and Amanda's SA Spa Experience...

WARNING: For some of you, this may be Too Much Information, but it is hilarious, and so, I will share...

thumbnail.jpg

Kelly and I have had quite the time searching for a good massage here in South Africa. We finally found this really cool looking spa where they give massages in "caves" and feed you dried fruit and biltong....they take you on a "SPAfari," so to speak. After perusing their website for a few days, we finally settled on our preferred spa treatments and made our appointments. Kelly opted to go "a la carte," I chose the slightly more expensive SPAfari.

Finally the day arrived for us to enjoy our spa experience. Tense backs and tight calves in tack, we made the trek out to the spa- via highway and everything! Fortunately, Garmin guided us there safely and only one U-turn was necessary, as the spa was on the opposite side of the road.

Once inside the spa, we were led by the masseuse to the (separate)changing rooms and restrooms. While the spa was smaller than expected, our hopes were still high as we donned the paper thin spa robes. I exited my changing room and located the masseuse...in a room with Kelly, another masseuse and two massage beds.

Hopes? Down.

But I smiled and entered the room anyway. The ladies began to give us our instructions, stating that we were to exchange our robes for "disposable" underwear and lay down on the beds, covering ourselves with the provided bath towells.

The ladies left, closing the door behind them.

Kelly and I broke out in uncomfortable laughter. WHAT!? We laughed, we were getting massages together? In the same room? Oh- and did I mention that we were getting salt scrubs prior to the massage? Well, we were. And a salt scrub requires a shower afterwards to remove all of the salt. But don't worry! There was a shower conveniently located in the room.

A. Shower. Not two, ONE.

We agreed that while we are friends, we aren't in favor of that level of friendship, so we would just take turns and shower separately.

The ladies returned to the room and proceeded to rub us down with the exfoliating scrub. My masseuse asked me about my desired pressure for the massage. Now, I might be small but I can take a good FIRM massage, so I told her that. Fortunately, she also asked if we would prefer to shower separately, to which I eagerly replied "YES." The salt scrub was finished all too quicky and I jumped in the steaming hot shower. Next it was Kelly's turn, and we then returned to our separate massage tables.

Lights dim, masseuse's return for part two: massage.

There is also something I should explain, Kelly was paying for a deep tissue BACK massage and hot stone leg massage, I had a full body massage with my SPAfari...so our massages were (supposed to be) different.


The entire time the lady is massaging my aching back and legs, I am thinking, "so, where are the caves? And is this supposed to be firm pressure?" Of course, you know me, I kept silent. Usually the masseuse underestimates my desire for a deep tissue massage, so this really wasn't anything new. My thoughts began to wander as I allowed myself to relax. Then suddenly....

AHH! My behind is fully exposed! What on earth!!!??? Aren't they supposed to leave the towell over the person?? HAHA, again, I held my silence. (Little did I know, Kelly was participating in her own "peep show." No worries, I am sure her eyes were shut as tight as mine!)

Finally, the massage ended and the ladies left.

That wasn't it for me though, I was also getting a pedicure. My masseuse returned to complete my SPAfari while Kelly was left to sit solo on her massage table. Just waiting.

But what, at this point, could make it more awkward?

My masseuse returned to take us to the caves. For a glimpse, only. Finally, we were allowed to change back into our clothing.

As we paid our bills, I realize...they never gave me my biltong and fruit. So much for my SPAfari!

Ehh, it was a bonding experience, I suppose!

So, basically, we will not be returning to this particular spa. Our hopes have been lost on locating a good masseuse in South Africa.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

so funny. i wish i was there to laugh with you. i guess thats an adjustment to living overseas :) hopefully you all find it funny now, which seems like you :) make sure to speak up for yourself dear or they will take all your money! love you. your the best.

Benanda said...

haha, fortunately, it wasn't expensive. :) Wish you were here too. Or me there.