Monday, September 28, 2009

Penguins. Yes, Penguins.

Upon our awakening on our first day in Cape Town, we were greeted with cloudy weather. I am the type of person who thrives on sunshine and so I was quite upset to see so many clouds on our vacation. Not to mention the fact I only packed summer clothing. (hey now, it has been pretty warm in Joburg and we were going to the beach! It made sense in my mind!)

I bucked up and we went out on our way anyway...first stop? Penguins. Why not...it was cold and it was on the way to Cape Point. Just as my mood started to shift towards enjoyment, my camera died. Mid-photo. HA! I figured God was playing a funny joke on me. Although I didn't find much humor in the moment... SO, we returned to our accommodations to charge the camera. After all, I had promised all of you that I would have pictures and without a camera, well, that wouldn't really be possible.

Might I add... as the camera was charging, we also made a pit stop by the mall to purchase some pants for me. Might as well be comfortable, right?

Camera charged, legs covered, Finally! We were on our way.

Back to the penguins. They are called "Jackass Penguins" because of a sound they supposedly make, sounds like a donkey. We didn't hear them make any sounds. They mostly just lazed around. I suppose I would do the same thing if I were cold and a penguin. Of course, it was nowhere near the temperatures you would expect a penguin to thrive in. Then again, I suppose these are South African penguins and therefore they are used to warmer temperatures.

All that aside, we snapped a few pictures of the relaxed creatures as well as the boulders beach surrounding their home.


Would we return to this specific location? Maybe not. The penguins simply weren't very fun... I would have to say that the boulders on their beach provided us more entertainment...



More blogs to come regarding our Cape Town adventures! It only gets better from here on out! (Of course I don't want to get your hopes up too high only to lead to disappointment.....)

No comments: