Thursday, September 10, 2009

Amanda's Most Frequently Asked Questions...and her answers

Since our relocation to South Africa, I have been asked a couple of questions multiple times by a variety of people. There just is not a censor here and people aren't shy.

Question 1: "You look too young to be married! I thought you were from the American school(12th grade and YOUNGER!!!!!!)! How old are you?"
my answer: "24. Yes, I am young! I have been blessed with the gift of youth."
the answer I want to give: "It's not really your business how old I am. Why do you have to comment on how young I look? I don't comment on how old you look!" (I would never say this and I feel bad for even thinking this, but it's starting to drive me crazy. I get asked this question by the hair stylist, cashier at the grocery store, masseuse, person going for a walk, sale's lady.....and the list goes on. It's just getting old. Seriously, I am aware I look young. But come on people. Not every 20 something has to wear a pound of make-up, color her hair and wear trendy clothing!)

Question 2: "So your husband works. But what do YOU do all day?" (they often wear this puzzling/annoyed look on their face like 'you are so lazy!')
my answer: "Oh, I make my husband dinner. (hahaha) I don't know, I find things to do." (I generally keep this answer short because I do a LOT of things during the day, but I don't think they really care to hear the answer. So I keep it to myself. Unless they press harder, then I give them a little bit more information.)
the answer I want to give: "What? You think I am lazy? I do the things you wish you had time to do! I have fun. Besides, I can't work here without a work visa and I can't apply for a work visa without a job. See the issue here?" (Again, I would NEVER say this and the guilt is there for even thinking it, but it helps me to write it out. Plus, I am already being hard on myself for just enjoying my free time. I don't like it when other people remind me that I am not working and/or contributing to our savings.)

Other comments from random people I don't know:

Scene: I was asking the cheese guy at the grocery store for Monterey Jack. He explained they didn't have it because it is too expensive to import; however, he was going to show me some other comparable cheeses.
Random lady's comment: "Can't you just use cheddar? (her face is all annoyed and angry looking as she spits the words out, why bother lady!?) Monterey Jack has no flavor anyway. Gross. Just use a sharp cheddar."
Okay, so I didn't hold it all back here, I did say "I think Monterey Jack has LOTS of flavor!" Then I ignored her and followed the cheese guy. By the way, the cheese guy was super nice and helpful. And he did NOT ask either of the Frequently Asked Questions!

Scene: Plumber came to do some work on our sink. As we are standing there he asks what my husband does. I told him.
Plumber says: "Do you know how much money they spent for all of YOU guys to come here? A LOT. And they are out of money."
My reply: "Well, maybe if they didn't pay for over time and fancy lunches, the cash flow wouldn't be so much of an issue."
His response: "No. That's not the problem. It cost too much to get everyone here. We need to use our own people."
I stopped talking.

Scene: I went to a baking store looking for PLAIN flour. Not cake flour, self-rising flour...PLAIN flour.
I say: "Do you have plain flour?"
Sale's lady: "That's cake flour."
I say: "No, it's not. They are different. That's okay, thanks." (I turn to leave.)



Anyway, that's enough for now. Just had to get some of that out there. I am still trying to calm down from all of the age comments. HA! Maybe if I keep worrying about it, then I will get some worry lines and look older? Doubtful. Ah well, I should just enjoy my gift of youth.

However, if you would like to make me laugh, please comment on the blog with some funny/creative replies you think I could (imagine) using.



7 comments:

kimberly said...

Oh my goodness Amanda, I feel your pain on the first one. It does get REALLY old. I especially dislike the "Oh, you'll appreciate that when you're older" remark. I want to be like "Guess what. You look 10 years older than you actually are. What?! You would have appreciated that when you were 16." ugh!

I thought that by year six I would stop getting mistaken for a student. nope. no such luck.

Kelley said...

ha. I meant to tell you this when we talked. Last Sunday at church I had a lady tell me for 5 WHOLE minutes how she thought I was 16 and one of the youth. Even after I continued to insist I am not and I graduated college 3 years ago. I then introduce her to Wade so she will stop talking to me and she then tries to say Wade looked young too. If we weren't I church I would have asked if she smoked pot. For real... I dont think anyone has every thought Wade looks young, he is normally my saving grace when people insist I am a high schooler. Some people are just crazy and have no censor. Its fine if you ask me once but when you continue to insist I am in H.S. I want to punch you in the face.
I think until we have babies and bags under our eyes people are going to think we are young. We can't help it that God blessed us with beautiful faces and we don't want to hide it with tons of makeup :) hope my discomfort helps you feel better. love

Matt said...

Geez! Some of those people are sooo rude! Especially the cheese lady and the plumber. I wouldn't know what to say! Good for you for standing up and saying Monterery Jack does have flavor! How would that lady know anyways if they don't have it in South Africa! Crazy stuff!

I really enjoy your blog! You stories are soo funny!

Life With Our (Growing) Family said...

I get the same old looks when people realize I'm 27 and not 17. Just wait until you and Ben have kids. Everywhere you go people will stare at you and think you are a teenage couple with kids. Once and awhile, people actually say it, but mostly it's just the look on their face that says it all. Don't feel bad about venting! :)

Benanda said...

HA! Goodness, it's just plain funny. Well, and annoying at times!

Anonymous said...

hahaha amanda i really think you should jsut let it all out and just lay it on them. you're never gonna see them again! and then they will jsut think americans are rude(which a LOT are). lol you know me, if i was there i would be the worst person there. if i got all those age comments and i was your age i would jsut blow up at the next person to say ANYTHING about my age. lol

Nick said...

response to plumber:

I'm sorry you have to deal with people's crap for a living, but I don't, so shut the hell up!