As we were between shops in an outdoor shopping center, I happened to notice a little girl of about two years old standing alone by a car. She didn't look scared or anything, just very alone as she dawdled back and forth from the curb. I slowed my pace and did a quick scan of the potential mothers and/or fathers. Nobody appeared to fit the bill. That's when the little girl decided to take a stroll out towards the middle of the busy parking lot. Um, I think not! I quickly followed after her and scooped her up into my arms. No fuss at all. She seemed most interested in my necklace and facial features than anything else.
I stuck my head in the store she had been closest to and asked if anyone recognized the girl. Nada. Ben and I had noticed a few police officers walking by earlier, so we quickly located them and explained the situation. True to South Africa form, the officers looked a little dumbfounded at first. Kind of like, "why did you pick up this little girl? She was in the street? What's wrong with being in the street?" Finally the officers kicked it into gear and asked me to come with them (the little girl remained quite content in my arms). One officer said, "Irresponsible parents!"
The officers began checking in the stores and asking for her parents. Eventually a woman came out of a store and began talking to the officers. She didn't really glance at the little girl. Another man joined in the discussion and they all spoke rapidly in a language I did not understand. Suddenly an officer switched to English and said "Thank you, these are her parents. Her mother thought she was with her dad and he thought she was with her." It was all very odd. Neither parent made a move right away for their apparent daughter. Finally the "Dad" opened his arms and said "Thank you." I kindly handed over the little girl and shook the officers hands who continued to thank us over and over again.
So odd.
Ben was surprised I picked up the little girl. I explained it must just be my motherly instincts kicking in and if she had been our daughter, I certainly would have wanted someone to do the same. Ben then said, "Our daughter will never do that." Hehehe. Well...I don't know about that! I certainly did it to my Mom when I was little (sorry Mom! It wasn't on purpose!). Kids are fast. One second they are right there with you and the next they are five aisles away. Right? Nonetheless, we will do our best to keep our eyes closely secured to our little girl. And if some kind stranger is holding her after finding her in the street- we will rush to her rescue ASAP!
No comments:
Post a Comment