Monday, August 3, 2009

3 Years and counting...




This will most likely be our only anniversary on which we will have been cold! But it was a good one, nonetheless. We woke up early together- Ben for work and me for a hair appointment- my first here in South Africa. Before leaving the house, Ben presented me with a lovely blue gemstone necklace. I have already forgotten the name of the stone- but he says it matches my eyes! I gave him a Snickers bar. What can I say, he loves chocolate.

Following my lovely hair styling, Ben picked me up and whisked me away to a anniversary breakfast. We were basically the only people there! He ten took me by the gemstone place again to see if the other part of my gift was ready- wow! Am I spoiled or what!? It wasn't, but I later picked up my matching earrings. Lovely!

As soon as Ben dropped me off at home and returned to work, I set about to the dinner preparations. I frosted the homemade chocolate cake with strawberry filling, decorated and set the table and double checked the dinner supplies. Having done everything I could, I then decided to just relax for a bit, reading and remembering. Before I knew it, the time had come to make that dinner: Chicken Marsala, green beans and mashed potatoes...the same dinner that was served at our wedding...that we didn't eat because we were too excited!


When Ben came home, I was waiting with the lovely dinner and the special chocolate cake. Fortunately, he was impressed and very pleased with the dinner. You might notice a wooden hippo in the pictures- that is Ben's early anniversary gift. He got it when we were at the Bryanston market....but that was what I had planned to get him for our anniversary, so he said it would count. Ben is not as much as a gift person as I am. I like to give them and receive them, but I have learned Ben enjoys more practicality than anything else. So, that's what I gave him.

All in all? It was a good day for this Connell family and we are looking forward to more of these anniversaries down the road...hopefully with friends and family close by!

PS.) Ben just had to go one step further and get me the ring I wanted...only in blue. He gave it to me during our weekend away...more to come on that.

No comments: