On our way back from Durban, we were in need of some fresh air. And it just so happened that we would be driving through the Drakensburg Mountain Range...Howick Falls to be exact. We found our way to a parking lot and it only took us a few minutes to finally locate the trail. It was behind a little shop- how convenient- and they charged R20 (about $2.80) per person. We paid up and made it through to the trail. How could we pass it up?
I am such a nerd. I didn't think about how my hiking shoes would look with rolled up pants. Not very "cool" in some people's eyes, but I think that others might disagree. I called myself "Safari Jane." Not sure why, it just seemed fitting for my outfit. I had myself a good laugh. Yes, I laugh at myself. It's a good way to get over one's pride.
Anyway, the hike was good. Fast as usual- the Gasper's led! They are super speedy hikers! I guess I am just too busy looking around and trying to catch all of the details or really awesome photo opps. That's me...a dreamer! We made it down to the falls in all of about 20 minutes. Oh, boy, was the air fresh. I could have stayed and breathed it all day. Or bottled it up and brought it back to Joburg with me. I do so love fresh mountain/spring air. Just lovely. Pure, sweet, refreshing.
Not only the air, but the water looked so cool! Kinda dirty, I suppose....but I didn't care too much. I stripped off my shoes and socks (haha) and dipped my little piggies right in! I even took a dive into the water! Okay- not really, I just pretended to dive in. But I DID wade (go greening!) out to a rock, as close as I could get to the falling water. It was great. I love that sorta stuff. Enjoying God's creation. So fun. For me, at least.
That was about the extent of our Howick adventure. Although, I will add that there were quite a few children going from person to person in the parking lot, asking for money. It just about broke my heart. I wish I had money or something to give them, but I did not. There's just an overwhelming amount of poverty here. But it is important, I think, to be aware. Otherwise, I am just naive.
Soooo, must end on a more positive note...let's see...we did not run out of snacks during our drive. That means we are growing in our self control. Go "adult" Connell's!
Oh and one more thing- I waited in a 15 minute line at a rest stop to use the bathroom. SICK!
4 comments:
safari jane. definitely a keeper! so funny. i also like the shoot out. :) you all are awesome. excited to hear about your new adventures this weekend.
stupid words. i meant to say SHOUT out. Wade promptly corrected me by pretending to shoot at me. men.
hahaha!
did you just laugh at me??
update your blog. we check it everyday... and need to know more about your life :)
Post a Comment