Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hanauma Bay


Thursday was a lot of fun.  Of course it started as any other day (need I remind you?)..."Maaa-IIEEEE!!!" and no sunrise.  But then we got all decked out in our swimsuits and beach gear, left around 8:30am for Charlotte's morning car nap....and headed to Hanauma Bay.

Charlotte did her best to convince us she was capable of driving.


She even made the "Loser" sign at us.  But, alas, we were not swayed.  Sorry Charly.  Maybe in about 13ish years we can start those driving lessons.  Yowzers...13 years...that's not long!
 
Fortunately, after the "Losers" sign, Charlotte didn't put up much of a fight and she agreed to ride safely in her car seat.  She was zonked before we were even out of Trisha's neighborhood!

And...the sunshine graced us with her presence!  All the way to Hanauma Bay.  And the entire time we were there.  It was absolutely lovely. 




When we first arrived, Ben and I had to watch a video about how to safely snorkel in the bay and not step on the coral.  The video wasn't quite as entertaining as the person who passed out near the end.  (There were no chairs, so this was a stand and view video).  I guess the coral was too much for her...

Charlotte hung out with Trisha while we watched said video.  I believe she chased a few birds and other small "wild" animals.  Because what else do you do when you are a toddler, right?

We then made the hike down to the bay.  And, yes friends, it was actually kind of a hike.  I should have taken a photo to prove it's steepness...but I am pregnant.  And I forgot to bring the camera down with me.  So...in reality, all of the photos from Hanauma Bay are right before we left.  Because neither of us were up for making that hike up the hill and back down again just for the camera...

Anyway.

We popped a squat under a palm tree.  Shade= Charlotte's friend.  And I was hopeful Charlotte might actually nap on the beach later so we could stay there allllllllllllllll day long.

Ben donned the snorkeling gear right away.  Trisha and I decided to take our time and see if Charlotte might brave the water a bit.  We waded out, bit by bit, Charlotte in Trisha's arms.  I was afraid my pregnant and unsteady self would topple right over in the water.  And, I was right.  I ended up cutting my foot at one point as I started to go all topsy turvy!  Those waves made me dizzy!  As we waded, we started to see brightly colored fish swimming about us.  And Charlotte saw them too.  The waves came and lapped at her toes....she giggled.  Then she would squeal....and try to touch her toes a little deeper in the water.  She pointed at the fish...and pushed away from Trisha just ever so slightly so she could sink a little deeper into the water...

BY golly!  I began to realize my daughter was warming up to and enjoying the water!

I wanted to stay and play with Charlotte in the water, eager was I to experience this with her.  But Trisha had to leave to pick Dan up from the airport (he was returning to Hawaii from ALASKA!) in just over an hour.  And I had promised Ben I would snorkel with him.  So....I gave my little sweetie a kiss and left her to play with her cousin while I spent some quality time with my Benji.

I confess, I was nervous.  I was wearing my bikini...bearing my bump.  And I was clad in snorkel gear.  A sight to see, maybe.  Nonetheless, Ben was happy to see me appear for our little snorkel date.  He helped me adjust my mask and I stuck my face into the water.  Just in time to have a mini panic-attack. 

I couldn't get a good breath, the coral and rocks came up very close to my belly, and the mask started to leak a bit.  I tried not to flip out completely.  Fortunately, Ben was there to help me calm down and steady my breathing.  (Goodness, I have snorkeled before!  I attribute my mini-panic to being pregnant).  And, soon, I felt good to try again. 

The fish were beautiful!  And there were so many of them- all around us.  All different shapes and sizes....really, truly beautiful.  I was having a blast!  And then we realized we were stuck over a bunch of coral...that sat just barely a foot below the surface.  I held my hand over my Cale bump to protect him from hitting...and then Ben and I both had laugh attacks.  It was just too funny!  Me trying to not hit the coral with Cale...Ben trying to navigate us off this risen plain of coral....  Again, a sight to see, maybe.


We eventually managed to find ocean floor to stand on and get our laughter under control.  And, of course, time flies when you are having fun.  So we headed back to shore to get our little lady and send Trisha on her way.


Feeling good, we decided to try Charlotte out in the water just a little bit longer.  And my goodness!  Did she ever warm up!  She even let go of our hands when we were along the shoreline, waves splashing in around us.  She giggled and squealed some more, pointed out the "fish!" (fish really did sound like fish when she said it!) and simply enjoyed herself.  I was itching to capture the moments on video and/or camera....but knew it was more worth it to savor the moments with our sweet girl.  And reserve them in our mind's memory.  Not every moment can and should be captured on film after all.  Sometimes it's best to just live in the moment, you know?  So that's what we did.


Time ticked away from us.  We ate the snacks we had brought along with us but knew we were in need of a real meal.  And Charlotte wasn't up for napping on the beach.  So...shortly before 2pm, we finally called it and retreated up the steep hill.  By shuttle :)  No walk this time around! 


We really had so much fun in Hanauma Bay.  I will cherish those memories forever!




We changed Charlotte in the car before we left.  She just cracks me up sometimes....well most of the time, honestly!  And since I hadn't had the camera on the beach, I suppose I was a bit trigger happy.  So I snapped the following photo of her hamming it up while eating a banana...and being changed by Daddy.  Too cute.  Love her!

Just about 15 minutes from Hanauma Bay, we found a sweet little spot on the water to grab that much needed lunch.

Charlotte continued to ham it up while we dined.  Seriously, I have no idea how she can possibly get cuter and cuter every minute.  I am so stinking blessed!  And yeah...I continued to be trigger happy.  Guess these were some moments I thought needed documenting....


 

Coloring with Daddy...


Sporting her glasses with Mommy...
Playing with the cute little umbrella on her water cup...

And sampling a cherry...which she promptly spat out!
After our super fun day in Hanauma Bay, we did a quick drive-through of PunchBowl Cemetary.  (By then it was raining) and joined up with the traffic to head back to Trisha and Dan's.  Charlotte took her nap in the car.

The rest of our evening was nice and relaxing, hanging out with our awesome family!  Dan had brought back a souvenir for Charlotte from Alaska.  Now, how often do you go to Hawaii and return with an Alaskan souvenir?  Can't be that often.  I'd say she is one lucky gal!

No comments: