Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Aloha...the farewell version


Wouldn't it be surprising if Charlotte slept in on our last day?  It sure would!  But she did not deviate from her usual.  She must have really enjoyed the 4am snuggles with Mommy.  And then she must have dreamed of Maaa-iiieeee as she snoozed in my arms because she really would go from a deep sleep to wide awake and in search of Maaa-iiee.  And even in my exhausted state, I found it amusing.  What else was I to do, after all?  Being frustrated simply was not worth it.

We were in Hawaii!

And it was our Aloha...the farewell version day.

Ben and the guys suited up to go golfing.  They were careful to not color coordinate because that would just be lame.  Matchy matchy is simply not cool for dudes.  I was excited for Ben to go golfing in Hawaii.  He didn't get to take his golf clubs to South Africa, nor did he get to golf while we were there- and South Africa has some pretty spectacular courses!  So I wanted to make sure my man got some time on the green while we were soaking up the sun in Hawaii.  (I am totally not a golfer, I am just trying to think of golf terms I have heard.  "on the green" is a golf term, right??)

I think I might consider learning to golf if I could golf on this kind of course...




I mean, really.  Beach side?  I'd totally go golfing.  Or at least ride around in the expensive cart rental dealy and read a book while Ben golfed.  And maybe pose for a pic or two.

Dan informed Ben that it's a must to pose by the following sign for a photo opp.  (Good job, Dan!  I love photo opps!)


Did you read the sign?


Don't worry guys, I don't believe he actually hit the ball into the ocean.


Golfing spent up Ben's aloha (the farewell version) day in Hawaii.  It was a packed course after all and I think there was a bit of waiting involved from green to green.  (Did I use that term right?  Aw well....I tried!  Sorry, golfers, if I have offended you...)

We gals spent our aloha (the farewell version) day in Hawaii at the beach.  I would not have chosen any differently!  I live in Kansas.  I am soon to have our second baby.  Who knows when I will see the beach again?

Charlotte lived it up.  And I followed her around with the camera...well for about 20 minutes of our beach time at least.  I played in the water with her for the rest of it, just wanted to be sure I got some pics of my girl frolicking in the Hawaii ocean waves!

Charlotte loves Hannah.  Can't wait for Hannah to move back...and hopefully close enough so we can call upon her for babysitting duty!


Charlotte was very excited by the ocean.  She would often stop, point and yell, "wa-wa-wa-WA-WA!!!"  (translation: water)  That was our cue to get up and go.


Charlotte walked between our spot in the sand and our spot in the water with such purpose.  She has such a little lady strut to her walk, too.  She shakes those hips like nobody's business- and I am not quite sure where she gets that from!  Because I am pretty sure I don't booty shake when I walk...but maybe I should ask Ben.  I do know I waddle when I walk, at least as of lately.




As soon as Charlotte would reach the water's edge, she would stop and look for a hand to hold.  Because while she had grown quite comfortable and brave in the water...she still seemed to understand the necessity of having a "grown-up" hold onto her for support.




Then she would squeal with delight as the water lapped around her feet.  Yup, adorable.  I probably squealed with delight just watching her experience such joy!  Because truly, it is such a beautiful feeling to watch your sweet little one learn and grow....


While Charlotte did have some fun playing in the sand, she was mostly not a fan of the sticky-get-all-over-everything substance.  At times Charlotte became slightly frustrated as she tried to pluck the teeny tiny grains of sand away from her skin.  She would wipe it off with her hands, only to discover that spread it worse.  She then would wipe it on Mommy, which kind of worked, but not to her approval...the towel was only slightly better.  Aww, Charly.  You will learn.  Sand is just a part of the beach.  And then you shower.




This is the only photo of Charlotte and me playing together in the water that met my approval...
Before we knew it the time had come for us to bid farewell to the beach.  I'm sure, if time allowed, we could have spent another hour or so playing in the surf and sand.  But alas, we had a plane to catch...and a few more things to pack before our final departure from the lovely island of Oahu.

Charlotte staring longingly out at the ocean...hardly aware of the fact that she might not get to see it again for awhile...sorry baby girl!  We can play pretend back in Kansas...
We showered and changed, organized and packed.  Charlotte pushed the "stro" (translation: stroller) around the house a few times, loved on Maaaa-iiieeeee, Aus and Hannah...and downed an approved dose of Benedryl.  We weren't messing around on this flight.  Mama and Daddy were tired!  And we made sure to do what we could to ensure our sweet little ball of energy might get some shut eye on our journey home.


Charlotte still looks at these photos and says with such sweetness, "Au-tin" and "Hannah!"  She has progressed from "Aus" to "Au-tin."  Very sweet!  How she loves her cousins!


Really, my heart melts when I recall our precious time with this family!  I know I teared up more than once watching Charlotte play with, love on and be loved on by them.  Austin and Hannah are truly great kids!  With a couple of amazing parents :)  And Charlotte is so blessed to have spent the week she did with them- and we as well!

Anyway, after our final "aloha's" to the family, we drove off for the airport.  And, despite a very very very long wait at the check-in desk (they didn't have Charlotte listed as flying with us...and apparently it was quite the task to add her!!), we had smooth travels home.  Charlotte  SLEPT the entire way.  Oh, glory be!  Now, Ben and I didn't get to sleep with her little limbs spread out across our laps, but that's okay.  CHARLOTTE SLEPT THE ENTIRE WAY HOME!  And to that?  I say:

Praise the LORD!


No comments: