Monday, November 22, 2010

Charlotte: seven weeks in this big world!




This has been a good week for Charlotte in this Big world! We began our infant massage class this past Wednesday, and besides prayer from our friends and family- I think our good week has a lot to do with the massage techniques we learned!

I really can’t say enough good things about infant massage- it is helping sweet Charlotte and us so very much! We had our first class last Wednesday after a TERRIBLE night with Charlotte. She was up and crying most of the night and on into the morning. She repeated her refusal to eat- which was odd because I hadn’t eaten anything out of the ordinary. When the massage lady (Mandy) arrived, I apologized for Charlotte’s cries….but we persisted with the massage class. Charlotte cried throughout the entire first massage. We focused on her tummy, which I’m sure was bothering her. Mandy told us that it generally takes up to 2 weeks for parents to see results from the massage routine in their babies, but some see results sooner. She also explained that babies will cry throughout the massages sometimes because their tummies are just hurting. However, it’s okay (and preferable) to continue the massage through the crying because it will end up relieving the tummy pain/gas in the end. So we continued. Ben and I have been massaging Charlotte 3 times a day since then. It takes about 10 minutes to do the massage, but more times than not, she either smiles or grunts as we do the massage. And the days are becoming more enjoyable. I am so glad we chose to try out this massage stuff. We’ve tried Mylocon and Gripe Water, but they don’t always seem to work for Charlotte. We still use them sometimes in conjunction with the massage, but overall, things are definitely improving.

Charlotte is also getting better at sleeping through the night- also a new occurrence since our massage class! She will usually sleep from about 9/9:30pm-3:30am or longer. Then she will sleep another 2.5-4 hours after that. It’s quite lovely. Sunday was especially successful! Charlotte did not cry near as much in the evening and even had a very SMOOTH transition from bath to pajamas last night! So proud of our sweet girl!

Ben and I braved a night out on Friday. A friend of ours- Kristie (she has a 2 year old and 9 mo old)- volunteered to give us a “baby break.” We decided to give it a try and at least enjoy eating dinner together as opposed to taking turns standing and bouncing a crying Charlotte. I left a bottle for Kristie to try feeding Charlotte. Up to now…Charlotte has not taken a bottle… As we left for dinner, Charlotte cried. I was amazed that we could hear her cries from the end of the driveway. Sorry neighbors… It’s funny how true it is….once you have a kid it’s all you really talk about. Ben and I did enjoy our meal; however, most of our conversation revolved around our sweet girl. And we of course wondered and worried if she was cooperating for Kristie. We texted Kristie and discovered Charlotte had been sleeping soundly since shortly after we left. Whew! Nonetheless, we hurriedly paid our bill and made our way home. Charlotte welcomed us home with her cries. Kristie had been trying to bottle feed Miss Charlotte for about 10-15 minutes…but Charlotte simply wasn’t interested. Oh goodness, Charlotte! You must take a bottle sometime! Mommy can’t ALWAYS feed you J Overall our first night out was a super duper success!

I also think this past week was better because I have been cleared for exercise by my Doctor. Charlotte and I have been out on a few walks (she in the moby wrap since we don’t have a stroller here)….and they’ve been great! It feels so gooooood to get out and move! And Charlotte loves it! She’s all nice and cozy in the wrap as I walk…and I think she loves the motion of course. The only downside to our walks is the heat. I’m usually dripping by the end of our brief walks because I’m carrying Charlotte in the moby flush against my body. But that’s okay. Better than sitting in the house! I’ve also begun doing my post-natal work-out with Gabrielle Reece in the evenings. Ben takes Charlotte so I can do this 30 minute work-out and I gotta say- my body feels so alien like! I’m totally out of shape and the sit-ups and push-ups are difficult, but I can already tell it’s working. I am able to fit into my pre-pregnancy shorts and even some jeans! They don’t fit like they used to, but at least I can button them. And they will eventually fit better…it’s only week one of working out after all! Anyway, I feel better about myself which in turn lends to me being a better mommy for Charlotte.

We went to lunch with Ashley, Sam and Randy on Sunday. Charlotte did so very well! I fed her in the car before we went into the restaurant. She was happy and awake while we waited for our food, slept (in my arms) while we ate, then happy and awake as we chatted post meal. I felt so proud and so FREE! It’s crazy how much a difference it makes to just be able to do these seemingly “normal” things with Charlotte. She kept up her happy state of being throughout the rest of the day, which was very much appreciated by her parents!

If you’re wondering about Charlotte’s growth…yes, she seems to be a bit bigger with each passing day! She’s still in 0-3 month clothes and I am guessing she will be in this size throughout most of December. While I am sure she is around 12 lbs by now, she still doesn’t fill out the 0-3 month clothes all of the way. So we have some leeway. She’s getting pretty good at holding her head up on her own, though we still have some work to do there. But best of all are her smiles and sweet babbles. I love Charlotte’s toothless grins.

I have a confession. It was tough at first, but I am now able to eat chocolate again. I’ve tried chicken…but I just can’t get myself to enjoy it. It has such a strong flavor and I’ve gone over 9 months without it. I’m not sure why it was so easy to eat chocolate again but not chicken….haha….


No comments: