Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Charlotte: Five weeks in this BIG world

5 weeks and counting, our sweet Charly girl. Mommy is still exhausted. I’ve had so much encouragement from fellow mommies; however, and I know that this time will pass before I know it. I also keep telling myself that things will be better when we move home and Charlotte will have her own bedroom with her own crib! And she will have a swing and a floor gym. It bugs me that we don’t have a swing and/or floor gym for her to play on right now. I feel like she is missing out on some developmental milestones because we don’t really have any toys for her to babble at here! But I know that’s not really true…right? Regardless, it will be wonderful to have these things for Charlotte when we move back to Kansas. I’m looking forward to her napping in her swing or crib…and putting her to bed for the night in her crib so Daddy and I can have some time to unwind… and hopefully get a good night’s sleep!

Anyway, I am sure you are interested in Charlotte’s fifth week of life as opposed to my ramblings? Since I already blogged about Charlotte’s 1 month bday, I will move on to the happenings that occurred later in her 5th week of life…

Charlotte has been an “alien” since her birth. Basically, her South African birth certificate states that our little lady is an “alien” since she did not receive South African citizenship at her birth and she had to wait to jump through the hoops to obtain her American citizenship. Well, we jumped through those hoops on Friday. We made the appointment with the US Embassy about two weeks ago. Since they only allow one appointment a day at 2:00pm every day, we sort of expected it to be a quick in and out appointment. (Some of you may be laughing as you read this, anticipating what will happen…)

All morning I fretted about being ready on time for this appointment. I had to get myself ready, Charlotte ready, eat my lunch, make sure Charlotte was fed and wearing a clean diaper, load the car seat into the car and pick up Ben all by 1:20pm so we could make it to the US Embassy on time. (Mind you, this was my first time going out ALONE with Charlotte!) I was doing pretty well until about 11am, at which point Charlotte decided to wake up and cry. And cry, and cry and cry. She wouldn’t eat, so I just prayed I could feed her before 1pm…the time we needed to leave. Charlotte fussy slept in my arms while I somehow managed to make myself a sandwich and swallow it down. (For the first time in my life, I picked MOLD off of my bread and ATE it. In the past, I would have thrown the bread away, but I had no other option.) Just as I finished off my “scrumptious meal,” Charlotte decided she was also ready to eat. At 12:37pm. So, we settled into a comfy position and I fed my sweet girl. The minutes ticked by ever so quickly. (I was still not wearing my shirt!) Finally at 1:05pm, I decided to cease Charlotte’s meal and load up the car. She was okay at first. Until I realized the car seat base was not installed in the car…and the whole “load the car” business took twice as long as I had anticipated. Charlotte let me have it! She cried all the way to pick up her Daddy and then some. We finally arrived at the US Embassy (after about three u-turns) and Charlotte settled in for a light nap.

Charlotte maintained her sleepy state until we sat down in LINE for our appointment (answer me this: how could there be a LINE if we were the only appointment of the day!?). She awoke with a full diaper around 2:10pm. So, as a good mommy, I took her to the private restroom and changed her. I knew she was still tired so I tried to rock/sing her back to sleep. Apparently she was too distracted; however, and she continued to cry…louder and louder. The security guard came over and TOLD me to change her. I told Security Woman she was not dirty, just tired. Security Woman told me to feed her. I told Security Woman she was not hungry, just TIRED. Then I escaped outside. Charlotte continued to cry. Louder and louder. And she filled her diaper again.

I decided to brave the indoors again in spite of Charlotte’s loud cries…I had to change her diaper after all. As I made my mad dash to the bathroom, another woman intercepted my path. The woman’s perfume overwhelmed me as she babbled at Charlotte and took her from my arms after briefly “asking” me if it was okay. Charlotte was stunned into silence by the transfer of arms (and probably overwhelmed by her perfume). Another lady said, “Nini is soooo good with babies!” Nini (apparently that was the perfume lady’s name) finally handed Charlotte back to me just as Charlotte resumed her crying. I rushed to the bathroom and did not make eye contact with any of the remaining “well-intentioned” ladies. Charlotte calmed as I changed her diaper. (She loves laying on changing mats for some odd reason… you’d think she would also love to lay on a regular blanket, but no, she prefers changing mats…) I couldn’t let Charlotte lay on the changing mat forever, so I did the inevitable and picked her up. Her screaming picked up right where she left off. I braced myself for the throng of ladies and exited the bathroom. In my mad dash to the outdoors, “Nini” GRABBED Charlotte from me. She did NOT ask. As Nini danced away with my daughter I stood there in shock. I wanted to go and grab back my baby, but I figured that would be inappropriate. So, after calming myself down, I followed after Nini. Charlotte was beginning to cry again and Nini then handed her back to me. Nini said, “you should feed her.” I said, “She’s not hungry, I tried. She is tired. We had a 2pm appointment and it is now 3pm.” “Ohhhh,” said Nini, and she walked away.

Ben took Charlotte this time and walked with her outside. I sat there wishing that all of these women would just leave me alone to mother my child. I understand some are trying to help, but I know my daughter and I know when she is tired. Plus I don’t need heavily perfumed Nini women holding my baby and upsetting her further through overstimulation of her senses. Not cool.

Ben returned with Charlotte just as our name was called at 3:15pm. Charlotte calmed. We have a smart daughter. She let the US Embassy people have it for not keeping our appointment.

Sunday was a good day. We went to church (which is getting a little easier each time we go!), returned to the house for lunch, and then to the Rosebank African market. We met our friends, Kelly and Chris at the market for our final Rosebank shopping spree. I was so worried Charlotte would wake up and scream in the midst of our outing…but I tried my best to relax and just enjoy the experience. Praise the Lord, our sweet girl slept throughout the entire shopping spree. She even allowed me to get a smoothie! Happy, happy, happy was I.

Charlotte screamed in the car all the way home. But that’s okay. She was hungry and tired…

We have one week to go before the Doctor clears us for exercising. I am really looking forward to going on walks with Charlotte- although we don’t have a stroller here. I suppose I will survive…just give myself an arm workout along with the leg workout, right?

1 comment:

caseyportman said...

It really will get better! Those first 6-8 weeks are so exhausting that I don't know how anyone functions properly :) And my little girl did love her swing and play gym - it was nice to sort of "rotate" her through stations during the day, so my arms could get a break. Here's hoping you're able to get back to the US quickly so Charlotte can enjoy some of life's modern inventions!