Saturday, February 18, 2012

Baby2 Bump...weeks 8...9...10



8 weeks
January 8, 2012
Adding a toddler into the mix of pregnancy has certainly proven to be much more exhausting than my first go round.  But still a blessing nonetheless! 
This past week we visited our Doctor’s office for the first time.  I was so nervous heading in!  Though I had met this Doctor, she wasn’t the Doctor who delivered Charlotte.   And I couldn’t help but wonder…would I like her as much?  Would she help me feel comfortable?  And how different were things really going to be this time around?
That last question was answered promptly…there are going to be so many differences between here and South Africa!  As I sat in the waiting room, I recognized that there were a LOT more people waiting than at any point during my pregnancy with Charlotte.  With Charlotte, there was never more than one other couple in the waiting room.  But here…there were at least 7 other couples.  Not to mention quite a few coming and going.  When we were finally called back, we met with a Nurse Practitioner.  Not the Doctor.  And it was then we discovered we won’t actually see our Doctor until I am at least 10 weeks!  And we will not have a sonogram until then either.  Bugga!
They like to “specialize” everything here in the USA, apparently.  In SA, the Doctor and her Nurse did it all- except the anesthesia when the time came!  But here….in one appointment, I see a Nurse, a Nurse Practitioner, a Blood-drawing nurse (sorry nurse friends, I don’t know all of the correct terms!), a Sonographer, the Doctor, and the list goes on.  I just want to know…does this mean we will get bills from each of these specialists as well?  Because really….
So I sat there and chatted with the Nurse and then the Nurse Practitioner while Ben tried his best to man the Charlotte.  (Yup, we made it a family affair because 1- we thought we would have a sonogram and 2- we didn’t have a babysitter lined up).  Anyway…turns out I was further along than we thought (according to the calendar)!  7 weeks going on 8!  Well, that was good news!  Charlotte finally met her max….and so Ben herded her out to the hallway to do some running as I was ushered in to have my blood drawn.
The blood-drawing-nurse was unimpressed as I told her I couldn’t watch her draw my blood.  I chatted on, talking about how I am actually much more tough than I used to be!  But that I still prefer to not watch.  She was probably like, “right.  One of THESE women.”  As the needle went in, much to my surprise- I saw the Nurse outside the doorway!  She says, “Hey!  The Doctor is still here and wants to see you real quick if you want to do a quick sonogram!”  UMMM….YEEAAHHH!!!
I heartily agreed as the blood-drawing-nurse finished up her job and the Nurse went off to locate the Daddy and the big sister.
Oh glee!  Such glee!
Can I just say?  I love my Doctor.  All my worries concerning our Doctor went out the window as she quickly did a sonogram (which isn’t her job, really!) and smiled and celebrated with us as we heard our baby’s strong heartbeat (126 bpm!) and saw the strong flutter upon the screen.
And so here I am…carrying my second child.  I am keenly aware that this life growing within me is extremely fragile.  And he/she does not belong to me.  I have no idea how long I will carry this baby…if I will meet him/her face to face, if he/she will be healthy…and so on.  I know too many who have had to bury their babies…others who live day by day caring for a child with health issues.  I do not ever want to take this life for granted.  And I want to cherish every moment.  I pray our baby will indeed be healthy!  And I will enjoy the blessing of shepherding this child on his/her journey through life.
On a lighter note…pregnancy wise.  How are things this go round?  Exhaustion and nausea are my constant companions.  (Which, aren’t companions supposed to be friendly?  Maybe I should say they are my constant shadow.  That sounds more accurate!)  I feel tired all of the time and it is a battle to eat.  But I do…because I know it is important!
 I am already (sadly!) building up my aversion to chocolate and sweets.  But fortunately chicken is still in the running.  I hate lemon.  I drank a sprite last Friday…and I can still taste it.  NASTY.  (When I was pregnant with Charlotte I made lemon bars and had the same reaction.  It lasted for a week.  SICK!).  I cannot stress enough how much I dislike lemon and anything lemon tasting right now.  It’s extreme.
I’m still slipping into my skinny jeans…though I get uncomfortable sitting for long periods of time…because the waistband is starting to dig in!  All’s good though…because I lost a ton of weight after Charlotte and have a myriad of jeans to “grow” into.  And since Baby’s due in the summer…I will be able to wear mostly dresses and skirts.  NO maternity jeans.  I loathe maternity jeans.  And I believe I will refuse to wear them this pregnancy.
Other areas…I am being stubborn.  I do not want to purchase the pregnancy body pillow…though I hear much of the benefits.  I am sure I will eventually break down and get one…but as of now?  My spare pillows are holding up to the job.


9 WEEKS
January 15, 2012
Exhaustion.  Oh my, is it intense!  This weekend was probably the ickiest point so far for me in this pregnancy.  More than once I found myself thinking:
I feel like POOP.  Yes, POOP. 
Take a moment and picture it:  POOP.
I bet you think that is disgusting, right?  You are right.  It is, and that is exactly how I am feeling lately!
Food continues to be a challenge for me.  I feel as though I have an aversion to everything.   Minus potatoes.  However, potatoes alone would not provide baby and me with a sufficient diet, and so I limit my potato intake.  Lately I have also had a desire for cheesecake….but that desire has yet to be fulfilled.  Ben says cheesecake factory is too pricey…and he is right.
On the bright side, everything seems to be good.  I can tell our wee one is growing and developing, I am still functioning in spite of the exhaustion and poopiness and we have our first “official” sonogram this coming Tuesday.  We are pretty excited for that!
Charlotte has been super sweet.  Today she came over to me and laid her head against my tummy (which really wasn’t “bumping” out all that much at the time!).  Then she lifted my shirt and gave my tummy a kiss!  How she knows…is a mystery to me.  But it was sweet. 
And, sweet Baby #2….I want you to know you have a great big sister who is going to be your biggest fan!  She already loves you….and she is barely saying a handful of words.  I can’t wait to see you two together!  I am a very blessed Mommy.



10 Weeks
January 22, 2012
We had our official ultrasound this week where we were able to hear your heart beat and see your little arms and legs starting to sprout.  Still no defined facial profile, but I guess we will have to wait until our 20 week sonogram to see that…and find out if you are a boy or a girl!  Turns out we are not as far along as we thought and the due date has been moved to August 24, 2012…though we have to wait until we talk with the Doctor on February 1, 2012 to have that officially changed.  So for now…I am keeping our weekly updates on Sunday.
I am still feeling like poop.  Exhausted and poopy.  I really want to be past this poopy part, but I am hanging in there.  At least the yucky lemon flavor is gone.  Ick.  So gross.
It’s different this time around- not in a bad way.  Just different.  With Charlotte pregnancy was all I could think about all of the time.  This time around it is as though I am aware I am pregnant (how could I not be feeling so poopy!?) but it’s not consuming my brain as much. 
For one thing…I know my belly is going to grow.  I mean- I knew it would last time too, but last time I was super excited for it!  This time around I am hoping I can continue squeezing into my regular jeans a little longer.  Because I hate maternity jeans.  Definitely my least favorite thing ever.  And I just might refuse to wear them this time around!  That will just mean lots of leggings and skirts.  Which I am totally fine with.  Jeans?  I will see you on the skinny side.
I still have the intense desire to be a good mom…to know how to teach this sweet baby the Gospel and to live out the Gospel daily with this sweet baby. 
The other night, Ben and I went on a date.  And we were discussing life goals.  One that came to mind for me…I want to have an exceptional relationship with our kids.  Oh- sure, most parents would say they want a good relationship with their kids!  But I want an exceptional one.  I want to understand and be the parent when I need to be and the friend when I need to be.  As I said before- I especially want to live out the Gospel with our children and family.  I want our kids to know we are not perfect…we make mistakes.  But God loves us anyway.  Just as we will love them anyway.  Not because they are our kids- but because God has given us the grace to love them for who they are.  Maybe this is all a bit heavy.  But it is what is on my heart and mind this week of pregnancy.
I just want you…sweet baby…to know I love you.  But most importantly Jesus loves you.  He is the most important.  I pray you come to know this more and more with every day. 

1 comment: