I've been contemplating hope a lot lately. As well as suffering. This morning I read 2 Thessalonians 1, the first part of a letter written to the church of the Thessalonians...who at the time, were undergoing much suffering. The letter is written as an encouragement to the people, stating their suffering is a "plain indication of God's righteous judgement" so that they will be "considered worthy of the kingdom of God...(vs 5)."
As I read this, I couldn't help but ask the question, Why does suffering cause us to be worthy? HOW does it cause us to be worthy?
I began to think about some friends of ours whose baby died shortly after his birth. They knew from the day they found out they were expecting a boy that their son would most likely not live past his birth day. This precious baby's mother shared her thoughts, griefs, worries, suffering on her blog. It was apparent through her words and actions that she chose to praise God during her suffering. She still wanted her son to live and she still misses him dearly...but it was blatantly clear she was placing her HOPE in Jesus.
Other friends of ours have a new baby girl who might have TSC. They discovered this pending diagnosis shortly before their daughter's birth. As they wait for the confirmation of the diagnosis, I know their faith is being rattled. However, it is again apparent through their words and actions that they have chosen to place their hope in Jesus.
And so then I think...is that what it means to be worthy of God's kingdom through suffering? If we were always given everything we wanted, without any pain and/or suffering, would we feel the need to hope? Our desires would be fulfilled. I can't help but think we wouldn't even begin to grasp the fringes of what it means to hope. But when we lose something, someone, are faced with trials...when we suffer, we are left with a sense of emptiness, desire. And therefore, the need to hope.
Some chose to place their hope in the things of this world. Still, they are left feeling empty.
Others, like my friends, chose to hope in Christ. And even though they still feel pain, I am confident they don't feel empty. They feel full of the HOPE, their ONLY HOPE which is in Jesus.
When I suffer. Because I know I will. I pray my hope, my HOPE is evident.
3 comments:
Thank you for these words. They mean so much to me :)
P.S. I really like your blog background/layout, so cute!
P.S.S. So I may have checked out that hotbiggityblog site and created my own thanks to your inspiration!
Post a Comment