It states in 1 Peter 2 vs 24, "...and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed."
I probably could have bolded that entire verse. So, I think I will just type it again..."...and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed."
Wow.
How often have I taken for granted this truth? Not a day goes by where I don't fall into sin. Be it anger, jealousy, coveting, etc. Immediately after (sometimes during!) I feel guilt and shame for my sin. Ugly within. To think that Jesus took all of these sins, all of this UGLINESS into HIS BODY really blows my mind. How does that even begin to register?
Jesus. Perfect. Spotless, without sin. He bore all of my sin in His Body. But not just MY sin, every single person's sin.
Why? So that I might live. So that I can be free of my guilt and shame, my sin. And live in righteousness.
We sang a song in church recently titled "One glance of Thine, Eternal Lord":
"One glance of thine, eternal Lord,
Pierces all nature through;
nor heav'n, nor earth, nor hell, afford
a shelter from thy view!
the mighty whole, each smaller part,
at once before thee lies;
and every thought, of every heart,
is open to thine eyes.
though greatly from myself concealed,
thou see'st my inward frame;
to thee I always stand revealed, <---(I always stand revealed to Jesus...He knows every part of me, even
exactly as I am. (that of which I am ashamed...and try to hide)
Since therefore I can hardly bear <---(sometimes I can't help but wonder why He would do this for me. I
what in myself I see; (don't deserve it...)
how vile and dark must I appear,
most holy God, to thee.
But since my Savior stands between, <---(I get the goosebumps here. Jesus is my bodyguard! He stands
in garments dyed in blood; (between me and God, shielding my blemished self from our
'tis He, instead of me, is seen, (perfect God so that I can be in His presence.)
when I approach to God.
Thus, though a sinner, I am safe;
He pleads before the throne, <---(He PLEADS before the throne. For me!)
His life and death, in my behalf,
and calls my sins His own.
What wondrous love, what mysteries,
in this appointment shine!
My breaches of the Law are His
and His obedience mine. <---(He gave me His obedience. I appear to Him as clean because He took my
(sins into His body...obedient to our Father, God)
I am blessed to have known Jesus basically all my life. Even more blessed to have enjoyed a personal relationship with Him for over 10 years now. And, while I obviously had to understand the truth of 1 Peter 2 vs 24 to become a Christian, I am today rejoicing in this truth again.
No comments:
Post a Comment