Yup, our sweet Baby2 is indeed a boy. Our ultrasound on Friday left no question about this fact!
It seems the excitement and anticipation leading up to the ultrasound was so great....escalating more and more with each minute! I must admit....I was more focused on learning if Baby2 was indeed Cale...or another sweet little girl. I didn't think of the other, perhaps more important aspect of the 20 week scan. Not until the day before, actually. Then I remembered this scan was the BIG one. The one where we check all of Baby's organs, growth, the placenta, etc. etc. And there's always the possibility of learning something is not "as it should be" with our sweet little baby. (Now, I've been praying for Cale's health from day one, but it certainly was not as BIG in my mind as discovering he was in fact a HE!) I remembered this as the appointment where our friends discovered their sweet baby Jake's kidney's weren't working properly. I put my excitement in check as I remembered these things...knowing that God is in control and whatever happens is His Will.
Finally the morning of our appointment arrived. Charly and I did our usual morning routine while Daddy went to work....then we met him at the Doctor's office shortly before 10am. As we walked into the ultrasound room and I went to lay down on the table, Charly started to become frantic. She was worried the ultrasound machine was going to hurt Mommy. Daddy and I did our best to calm her, reassuring her with smiles and showing her the screen where the Baby was pictured. Fortunately, that worked! And she only let out a concerned whimper here and there...
Ben quickly informed the ultrasound tech to let him guess the gender before she revealed the news. And he got it right! Leave it to a Daddy to recognize those man parts. I could hardly make out a thing from my angle on that silly table/bed thing! (I later looked at the pictures and it's definitely clear in those Cale's a boy by the way!). I think neither Ben nor I was surprised as we had both kind of had a feeling it was Cale in there... Anyway, the lady continued to move the little wand around my abdomen, poking and prodding here and there. And Cale jabbed and punched right back. He is so tough! At one point he made that wand bounce off my belly he gave it such a powerful blow! His head is smooshed all down low on my right side, just as I suspected. She pointed out each organ, foot, arm and detail as she went. I asked about the things I knew: is there enough amniotic fluid? Does everything else look okay? To which she replied the fluid looked great and he looks to be right on track. We finally got a good profile of his face. I fell in love with his sweet little nose and hands help up beside his face...I fell in love with him...
We finished up the scan and went in to meet with my Doctor. When the Doctor came in she had a picture from the ultrasound with her. A picture of Cale's tummy. She showed us how large his tummy is and explained the ultrasound tech checked and rechecked during the scan to see if his tummy had emptied and it didn't (at least during the scan). She said that she didn't think it was anything to be alarmed about but we should see the high risk pregnancy center for a more detailed "level 2" sonogram. I smiled and nodded, playing it off, asked how to set up the appointment and said thank you. We made our next monthly appointment and retreated to the hallway...where I let a couple tears escape. Ben was surprised. Oh my good husband, so rational! I told Ben, "I know I shouldn't worry and everything is probably alright, but it is just scary." (Plus I am pregnant and emotional and my most important job right now is being a mommy to my children and that includes taking care of little Cale in the womb!)
I took the rest of the morning and early afternoon to process. I realized that most of the fear and sadness I felt (and still feel!) is on behalf of those I know who have learned their babies have some disorder or another. And I also find myself thinking of just how difficult it must have been...and is for those who have received such devastating news regarding their precious unborn babies. I'm reminded that we live in a world that is NOT as it should be. Pain exists here. Sin exists here. Challenges run rampant and heart aches run deep.
But God is in control.
He allows these things to happen and I have to choose to trust in Him. To hope in Him. To rest in Him. Cale belongs to Him...and I will cherish every moment He gives me with Cale. I pray it's a long time and Cale is okay....and this tummy thing is not an issue. But I know there is never any guarantee.
Anyway...our "level 2 scan" is scheduled for this Monday morning at 9am. So I just ask you to pray for Cale, pray his tummy is okay and his organs develop as needed...working together to perform their specific tasks. Pray Ben and I hold strong to Jesus through this...specifically that I wouldn't worry overmuch! Ben is much more "cool" than I. Not that I am a big worried mess or anything....I am just trying to prepare myself for whatever news we receive- good or not-so-good. Pray for those who receive difficult news every day concerning their little babies...born and unborn.
On a cool note...I was sharing everything with a friend of mine whose 9 month old baby girl has TSC and she asked me who is doing our scan. Turns out it is the same Doctor who diagnosed and delivered her sweet little lady. And it sounds like she is a great Doctor. I cannot tell you how reassuring it was to learn this news!
And with that...I will conclude with some fun photos from the past couple days of our discovery of Cale...
It seems the excitement and anticipation leading up to the ultrasound was so great....escalating more and more with each minute! I must admit....I was more focused on learning if Baby2 was indeed Cale...or another sweet little girl. I didn't think of the other, perhaps more important aspect of the 20 week scan. Not until the day before, actually. Then I remembered this scan was the BIG one. The one where we check all of Baby's organs, growth, the placenta, etc. etc. And there's always the possibility of learning something is not "as it should be" with our sweet little baby. (Now, I've been praying for Cale's health from day one, but it certainly was not as BIG in my mind as discovering he was in fact a HE!) I remembered this as the appointment where our friends discovered their sweet baby Jake's kidney's weren't working properly. I put my excitement in check as I remembered these things...knowing that God is in control and whatever happens is His Will.
Finally the morning of our appointment arrived. Charly and I did our usual morning routine while Daddy went to work....then we met him at the Doctor's office shortly before 10am. As we walked into the ultrasound room and I went to lay down on the table, Charly started to become frantic. She was worried the ultrasound machine was going to hurt Mommy. Daddy and I did our best to calm her, reassuring her with smiles and showing her the screen where the Baby was pictured. Fortunately, that worked! And she only let out a concerned whimper here and there...
Ben quickly informed the ultrasound tech to let him guess the gender before she revealed the news. And he got it right! Leave it to a Daddy to recognize those man parts. I could hardly make out a thing from my angle on that silly table/bed thing! (I later looked at the pictures and it's definitely clear in those Cale's a boy by the way!). I think neither Ben nor I was surprised as we had both kind of had a feeling it was Cale in there... Anyway, the lady continued to move the little wand around my abdomen, poking and prodding here and there. And Cale jabbed and punched right back. He is so tough! At one point he made that wand bounce off my belly he gave it such a powerful blow! His head is smooshed all down low on my right side, just as I suspected. She pointed out each organ, foot, arm and detail as she went. I asked about the things I knew: is there enough amniotic fluid? Does everything else look okay? To which she replied the fluid looked great and he looks to be right on track. We finally got a good profile of his face. I fell in love with his sweet little nose and hands help up beside his face...I fell in love with him...
We finished up the scan and went in to meet with my Doctor. When the Doctor came in she had a picture from the ultrasound with her. A picture of Cale's tummy. She showed us how large his tummy is and explained the ultrasound tech checked and rechecked during the scan to see if his tummy had emptied and it didn't (at least during the scan). She said that she didn't think it was anything to be alarmed about but we should see the high risk pregnancy center for a more detailed "level 2" sonogram. I smiled and nodded, playing it off, asked how to set up the appointment and said thank you. We made our next monthly appointment and retreated to the hallway...where I let a couple tears escape. Ben was surprised. Oh my good husband, so rational! I told Ben, "I know I shouldn't worry and everything is probably alright, but it is just scary." (Plus I am pregnant and emotional and my most important job right now is being a mommy to my children and that includes taking care of little Cale in the womb!)
I took the rest of the morning and early afternoon to process. I realized that most of the fear and sadness I felt (and still feel!) is on behalf of those I know who have learned their babies have some disorder or another. And I also find myself thinking of just how difficult it must have been...and is for those who have received such devastating news regarding their precious unborn babies. I'm reminded that we live in a world that is NOT as it should be. Pain exists here. Sin exists here. Challenges run rampant and heart aches run deep.
But God is in control.
He allows these things to happen and I have to choose to trust in Him. To hope in Him. To rest in Him. Cale belongs to Him...and I will cherish every moment He gives me with Cale. I pray it's a long time and Cale is okay....and this tummy thing is not an issue. But I know there is never any guarantee.
Anyway...our "level 2 scan" is scheduled for this Monday morning at 9am. So I just ask you to pray for Cale, pray his tummy is okay and his organs develop as needed...working together to perform their specific tasks. Pray Ben and I hold strong to Jesus through this...specifically that I wouldn't worry overmuch! Ben is much more "cool" than I. Not that I am a big worried mess or anything....I am just trying to prepare myself for whatever news we receive- good or not-so-good. Pray for those who receive difficult news every day concerning their little babies...born and unborn.
On a cool note...I was sharing everything with a friend of mine whose 9 month old baby girl has TSC and she asked me who is doing our scan. Turns out it is the same Doctor who diagnosed and delivered her sweet little lady. And it sounds like she is a great Doctor. I cannot tell you how reassuring it was to learn this news!
And with that...I will conclude with some fun photos from the past couple days of our discovery of Cale...

| Here's the photo I sent to the Uncles who don't live in our city...and state for that matter... |
1 comment:
He looks adorable!! Can't wait to meet him :)
Post a Comment