Thursday, December 15, 2011

Two babies...and a broken finger

Haha, I bet you all thought I was announcing Baby Connell #2.  Sorry folks, that's not it!

I am actually talking about our day long play date with 6 month old cousin Lydia!  I received a text message from Miss Lydia's Mommy on Monday night asking if there was any way I could watch Lydia for her on Tuesday (since their babysitter had strep throat).

EEK!  Moment of panic...followed by calm.  I told myself, I can totally do this.  Charlotte and Lydia love each other and will enjoy one another's company.  I replied, "yes" and pulled out some of Charlotte's "baby" toys.  (side note- I find it amusing that we have already packed up some of Charlotte's toys because she has outgrown them.  And she is 14 months old!!)

So anyway, Tuesday dawned.  And along came Lydia.

The first hour was great.  Lots of playing, laughing, hugs, kisses.  Happy time. 

 

 

 

Then 9am hit. 

Charlotte was tired...cranky.  Lydia wanted to crawl really fast, but she is just learning to crawl and so her little limbs couldn't propel her forward and "BONK!" went her little face against the floor.  And "waaaaaaaaaahhhh" went her little sweet voice in my ears.  I finally calmed sweet Lydia and got her to take her bottle.  But....Charlotte was jealous for Mommy's attention and tried to push the bottle away from Lydia. 

Cries all around.  I let it go on for about 15 minutes before deciding it was ridiculous.  So I set them in their crib/pack'n'plays in separate rooms, turned on the nap-time music (a little louder than usual) and shut their doors.  (Confession:  I may have uttered a couple obscenities once out of their ear range.  I am so not good at listening to crying.  I tell Ben all of the time that if I were captured and someone wanted information from me, all they would need to do is turn on the crying baby.  I'd give them whatever they wanted.  Thanks, Jesus for forgiving me...)

Anyway.  Charlotte lasted all of 30 minutes.  But Lydia, man.  She slept!  I finally woke the little cutie at 11:50am.  LUNCH time!

I'm not sure what Charlotte's deal was.  She would not eat.  No mam.  Lydia ate more than Charlotte and she only recently started on baby food!  I told Charlotte this information but it didn't encourage her to eat more.  Little stinker.  Charlotte was much more interested in removing everyone's socks than eating.  Besides Charlotte's refusal to eat lunch, lunch was quite the highlight.  I totally rocked lunch time.



We spent the next couple hours playing in the living room.  Until the cranksters reared their feisty heads again.  Can we say nap time?

Nope, not Charlotte.

All in all...the day was a success.  It was super fun playing with Lydia and seeing the two girls interact.  I am sure there are many more play dates in their future! 

OH!  By the way.  I did it all with a broken finger.  Enter...story:

After Charlotte's morning nap on Monday, I decided it was time for a Target run.  We were in "need" of a few items...and Target has proven to be a great past time activity for this stay-at-home-mama.  

I loaded Charlotte into her car seat and paused a moment.  I was struck by her cuteness and I told her so.  I leaned forward, steadying myself by holding on to the car door frame, gave Charlotte a quick kiss and said "I love you, I love you, Mama loves you!"  And I shut the car door.

Completely.  Shut.  The.  Car.  Door.
On my left pointer finger which apparently was still steadying itself on the car door frame.  

I looked at the door.  Completely shut.  My finger wedged in there.  My eyes went huge and I reopened that door quickly.  Removed my finger and doubled over in tears.

I am sure Charlotte was a bit perplexed.  

I know I was!  I called Ben.  I don't think I made any sense as I muttered out the series of events, grabbed an ice pack from inside the house and returned to the car.  I hung up with Ben, cried some more and called my Dad.  I told him to meet me at Target.

Okay, seriously, Amanda?  Target?  You most likely just broke your finger but you are still going to Target?

Ummm, yes.  What else was I going to do?

As any tough mama would do, I completed my shopping in Target.  With my ice pack in hand.  By the end of the day, I was convinced my finger was broken.  Still am.  And so, it is in a splint.  And can I just say...splints are amazing things.
Exit story.

And so, there you have it.  two babies and a broken finger.  

And by the way, today is the one year anniversary of our move back to the USofA!  

 Miss you, South Africa....



No comments: