Wednesday, December 21, 2011

An Iowaan Christmas


 I am not sure if I made up the term "Iowaan" or not.  I suppose I could Google it...since that's what people do when they want/need/desire an answer to some random question.  But.....nah.

This past weekend dawned our annual Christmas tour.  And, as you might have gathered, it began in Iowa.

My Mom-in-law's family has blacked out the weekend before Christmas, devoting it to their big family Christmas gathering.  And when I say big, I mean BIG.  My mom-in-law has three brothers and two sisters.  Each is married/in a committed relationship and nearly all of them have children.  Who also have children.

And they all gather this particular weekend in one home to celebrate Christmas.  White Elephant style.  That's where everyone brings a gift matching the "category" for the year.  Then we draw numbers and take turns opening the gifts.  The higher the number the better.  Because then you have the selection of not only the unopened gift, but every opened gift.  And you can trade.

This year's theme:  Bring a gift that starts with the first letter of your first name. 

Ben brought a blanket (errr, I brought a blanket for Ben....haha!).

Amanda brought an apron (I sewed it!) with chocolate cake mix (because they love chocolate!  And my last name starts with C).

Our gifts were well received....which is always a good thing.  I ended up with a laundry basket, licorice, lotion, Olivia care soap.  (L for Livi...O for Olivia).

Ben ended up with Adidas cologne and Andes mint cookies.  (A for Andrew/Andy).

Charlotte was exempt from white elephant.  I suppose it might be a little upsetting for some children to have their gift nabbed from them.  So the little kiddos take part in their own gift exchange.  Where they get to keep their gifts.  Charlotte got a doll- with really cool zippers, buttons, etc. 

Of course I think Charlotte was more enthused with the laundry basket....which she climbed in and out of.  It was quite handy to keep her in one spot.  There were a lot of things for Miss Charly to get into that are off limits!

Grandma Jill is "quite in her element" up in Iowa with all of her family.  It's always fun for me to see this side of my mom-in-law.  So relaxed, funny and even quirky!  She made a point to photograph nearly every moment of the festivities.  And she wound her body into some interesting positions in order to capture the "perfect shot."  I just wish I had gotten a better photo of her in these positions!  She's a quick one.  Has to be to keep up with her sweet granddaughter!

Notice?  My mom-in-law's sporting the high boots.  She debated the "high fashion" for awhile...but after some encouragement from a dear niece....she gave in.  Charlotte- you got one styling grandma! 
Charlotte certainly enjoyed spending time with her uncles and cousins...and the tall rocking horse.  Yeah, I'm in love.  Madly.

Now onto the next Christmas gathering!