Wednesday, July 28, 2010

4 Years of Marriage



It's crazy how quickly time moves these days. Today, Ben and I celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary. I remember when we were first married, I used to say, "I'm on the 5 year plan. No kids until we've been married 5 years." Well, as you can see, we changed our mind to the 4 year plan :) And we are glad.

Four years ago today, Ben and I were surrounded by our friends and family to celebrate our union in marriage before God. I remember the morning of our wedding, I wasn't nervous....just super excited! I went to the park to read my Bible, pray and journal, ate a delicious cinnamon roll and some fruit at my parent's house and then headed off to Ben's house to get dressed and ready for the wedding. I felt so blessed to have friends and family all around me, helping me prepare...and I know Ben felt the same way. I remember crying when I saw my Daddy after I was all dressed in my wedding getup. And then crying again when my Mom loaned me her necklace to wear as a bracelet (something borrowed). And again when I finally walked down the stairs to see my Benjamin. I felt so special, so treasured. So ready to embark on this new leg of our journey together as husband and wife...

Fortunately, I do remember many key points from our special day. I remember taking photos with Ben, hardly noticing the hot July Kansas humidity...not being able to STOP smiling! Even though our photographer tried to get a few serious shots...I just couldn't contain my joy! I remember my Daddy walking me out to the gazebo...and the bees that tried to get at me- but my Daddy protected me :) And I remember seeing Ben standing at the gazebo, waiting for me. My smile grew even more, if you can even believe it! I hugged my parents as they passed my hand to Ben....my husband. I remember being giddy throughout the entire ceremony....and jumping when the flower covered arch blew over! (I think everyone was thankful for the breeze!) I remember us saying our vows we wrote together, promising to love each other and keep God at the center of our marriage...and then I remember Ben sweeping me into his arms for that marriage kiss!

Then there was the dancing, the cake cutting, our first dance...and "sneaking" away in our getaway car. I remember waking up the next morning with Ben, and we both had tears in our eyes. We felt so very blessed by our friends and family who prepared for and celebrated our marriage with us. And I remember we missed them.

But it was time to move forward as "grown ups," husband and wife....our marriage only one small part in the book God has written for us together...


A couple weeks later, we went on our honeymoon to the El Dorado Royale in Mexico. Lots of rest and relaxation, sunshine and good food!


We graduated from Kansas State University about 9.5 months later....(me first, then Ben!).


Said goodbye to our first kitty together, Gracie later that same day.


Moved back to Kansas City and welcomed our new kitty, the ornery Miss Molly!


Saved up money from our "college degree" jobs and signed paper after paper as we bought our first house together in May 2008...


And just over a year later...we moved to South Africa.


Where we discovered we were "ready" to be parents....and were blessed with the discovery of our pregnancy with our first little girl....

Each year has brought some new, significant event in our marital journey. I'm blessed to share this journey with my beloved, Ben. And I look forward to welcoming each moment together with him...may those be celebratory, heart aching, growing times, refining times, joyous....

I love you, Ben. Yesterday, today and tomorrow. And I thank God for our marriage...may He continue to be our center. Happy Anniversary :)



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 4 years! That's amazing, especially since some people don't make it to the 1st year. With God, anything is possible!

Dana Butler said...

congrats, guys! awesome post! :)

Benanda said...

Thanks! Marriage is a blessing full of challenges, but definitely a gift from God :)

Mom-Darcie said...

Wait till you say #25 I know you will have a nice long marriage till death does you part!! Just like your parents and both sets of grandparents!!