Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Baby Journal: Week 27

Here we are for our mini 4th of July celebration. It wasn't long...we basically waved a flag and held Molly for this photo. Then we went to dinner at a steak house....it wasn't very tasty. So sad.
Ben with our cart of baby items we registered for here in SA.
And me.
Proud papa with his oh so important find.

July 7, 2010

How far along am I today?

27 weeks, 1 day

What is the favorite thing you ate today?

I am having trouble deciding. Yesterday really wasn’t the yummiest food day…but I suppose it would be the homemade crab wontons.

How’s the food stuff coming along? Cravings? Aversions?

I would really like Mi Ranchito espinaca, chips and salsa…some twizzlers and good (non-lemony) cheesecake. (Not all at the same time. And not even on the same day…I’m not that whacked out with cravings!) Those have been my cravings throughout the past week. And South Africa has none of it. Well, they have some cheesecake, but they put too much lemon in it here…so it’s not good. I would just make it myself, but they don’t know what Graham Crackers are either. Bummer, I know. Man…I really, really want some espinaca….

Any new symptoms this past week?

My poor belly button is no longer an “innie.” My back, neck and shoulders also continue to hurt worse and worse. So do my hips, particularly my left hip. Sleeping on my side wreaks havoc on my body…as does my little baby bowling ball (love you baby girl!).

What about the exercise routine?

Still doing my pilates and complete pregnancy work-outs. I’ve also been walking a couple times a week with Kelly. The walks are good, but they sure make my left hip hurt. I know it’s not just because of the baby because this same hip hurt when I was running too. I’m just praying it doesn’t give me too much pain later. Because I AM getting in shape after Baby Girl arrives. And I WILL run in the Fourth of July Freedom Run in 2011. I can’t help but wonder how I will figure in my work-out routine after Baby Girl arrives. Maybe my Dad should come over in 3 mornings a week and watch her while I run…or Auntie Pam….or anyone else. I promise, only 30-45 minutes is all I will need!

Sleep…is it good/bad/mediocre?

Nothing new here. Mediocre.

How big is the baby…and/or what does he/she resemble?

Baby Girl is still somewhere around the size of an eggplant. She should reach about 14.8 inches in length by next Tuesday and will weigh around 2.2 pounds (although today she was 1.3 kilos…if I remember correctly). I also read that each week she grows about ¼ pound! Sheesh! Also- we went to the doctor today (July 7) and Doctor still says our little lady is about a week ahead on the growth chart…growing “beautifully.” Doc was encouraging and said that her size will be just fine to deliver naturally as long as all goes smoothly. Whew!

And special milestones for baby?

Doc says she can hear about 20% of everything going on in our world….meaning she is familiar with mine and Ben’s voices.

How about the baby’s activity?

Baby Girl camped out on my bladder yesterday and today. It is not comfortable, I must say. She jumped/kicked/punched as I was walking with Kelly (no toilets nearby, so I pleaded with Baby Girl to stop!). Kindly she let up her pressure a bit for us to complete our walk. She then resumed her jump/kick/punch routine when I was on the phone with my Mom. Imagine a ball hitting you right on the bladder over and over and over again….that’s what it feels like…only from the inside. Isn’t she sweet? J

Did anything special (besides the baby growing!) happen to me this week?

The Fourth of July wasn’t really “special,” but it was a holiday (without a day off from work for Ben). We went to a BBQ with some other BVers on Saturday evening. My feet ached from standing forever, so I ended up sitting by myself on a couch most of the time. Ben and I also registered at the main baby store here in South Africa. My friend Kelly is throwing us a baby shower on July 30, so we wanted to be prepared! It was a madhouse. The registry system is quite different here. You basically fill up a cart with the things you want and then take it to an employee. The store then puts all of your requested items into a basket with your name on it. Then people come to the store and choose an item from your basket to buy. I know, different, right? Ben seemed to have fun registering. He insisted upon registering for “Johnson’s baby powder.” He was quite pleased to find the powder and selected two bottles to add to our basket. Cute J

What was the most random thing that happened this week?

Well, this happened today…July 7…during our ultrasound at the doc’s office. The Doc was checking out Baby Girl’s position and noticed her head all snuggly rested upon my bladder. As the Doc was checking to make sure all was well, Baby Girl apparently got the hiccups and the Doc asked me if I could feel it. I didn’t even realize they were the hiccups! I thought she was headbutting my bladder, but it turns out she most likely has had the hiccups all of those times when I thought she was drop kicking my bladder. Also- Doc says that Baby Girl will probably keep her head down in that position for the rest of the pregnancy, she might turn around or roll across my belly, but she won’t be doing any half somersaults. Perfect position for delivery, Doc says! Even though she still has a few weeks…

5 comments:

Mom-Darcie said...

Dad said to tell you that you are siticking your belly out!!HaHa!! you look so cute!! Just mom (Grandma G.)

Anonymous said...

Wow, their baby registry is indeed interesting!

Benanda said...

I'm sure Dad does a great impression of me right now :)

And another annoying part of the registry is that I have decided to remove something from the basket...so now I have to back to the store and physically remove it. I can't just go online. BOO!

Mom-Darcie said...

Well, the licorice is on it's way.

Matt said...

I always crave espinaca!! It is soo amazing. Same with salsa. And I would love to run the freedom run with you. I would've this year, but I was at camp! Hope to talk to you soon.