Monday, July 19, 2010

Prayer Request for a friend

God chooses carefully the earthly parents for His children. He has graciously selected Ben and me to raise His precious daughter, “Sandwiches” Connell. (There’s a story behind her nickname…) He also has the power to decide who will be given a healthy child, a child with disabilities, a child with cancer, twins, miscarriages, and the list goes on. In all of this….in everything…He most importantly has the power. The power to even work miracles.

A couple from Ben’s and my college church group is due to have their first son about three weeks after us. We rejoiced together (via facebook) when we discovered we were due around the same time. Then…we got busy and didn’t have any updates for about 4 months. For some reason, I decided to check in on our friend and I ended up reading her blog. That’s also when I discovered God has chosen them to parent one of His children with a tough journey ahead.

They have named their son Jacob, “Jake” for short. Little Jake doesn’t have enough fluid around him…and this is because he has an obstruction in his urethra, which means he cannot urinate. This is what fluid is made of in the womb and without this function; the baby can have other problems. In Jake’s case…his kidneys have failed. The Doctors do not expect Jake to live more than a few hours after his birth.

Even typing this, I feel my heart break and my eyes flood with tears. My friend has asked herself, “Why me? Why our son?” As I read their story, I was assaulted with reminders of the times throughout my pregnancy when I have been selfish. I have been worried about gaining weight, getting my pre-pregnancy body back, etc. I cried about being pregnant in South Africa instead of at home, in America, with our family to surround us. I have cried about not being able to set up our daughter’s nursery before her birth. I have cried because we won’t have pictures of all our family members holding our daughter in the hospital.

It is likely Jake’s family will not be able to set up a nursery even after his birth.

I know not to feel guilty for the feelings I have had, the tears I have shed on behalf of my own worries, etc. However, I also know that I have wasted moments of this pregnancy feeling sorry for myself. And I have everything to be thankful for. Our daughter is healthy; she will fly home with us in December and meet her extended family. We don’t have to think about planning her funeral shortly after her birth.

I don’t know how God makes the decisions He does. I just know He is God. He knows every nook and cranny of our lives. He alone knows the “whys.”

I pray for Jake and his family and I ask you to pray with me. Ask others to pray as well.

Jesus, You alone are the Almighty God. You alone hold the power to give and take away a life. You know every moment of our journeys…and You have determined when each of our journeys will begin and when they will end. Jake is Your child and You have chosen His earthly parents…parents who love Jake with a fierce and constant love. Parents who have chosen to support Jake’s life, nurturing him, loving him… for as long as You allow them. Father…I know You can work a miracle. I know You can take away the obstacles currently obstructing Jake’s life and I ask you, please, remove these obstacles. Work a miracle. Allow him to go home alive with his parents after his birth. Please also be with Jake’s Mom. Give her peace and comfort as she seeks Your will in all of this. Give her and her husband joy throughout Jake’s prenatal life. Place person after person after person in their path to remind them of Your love. Strengthen them, encourage them. Please give them hope. Our human minds are weak, Father. Weak to understand. Give us understanding. The kind of understanding that only comes from You. In Your Precious Name we pray, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have prayed for Jake's family - and will continue to.