I do love flowers- all kinds, especially those that also smell good. Not to mention the fact that they are simply lovely to look at and perhaps that is why I always feel compelled to capture their image in a photograph! I suppose a nice quality of South Africa is the fact that they sell flowers for a little less than in the States. For example, the roses in this picture were only about $6.50. We got them at a Rose place we visited last weekend (we thought it was going to be a garden, but it turned out to just be a rose wholesale place with a “rose” cafĂ©. Not yummy, they had all kinds of rose flavored drinks and dishes, and I must say, roses do NOT taste good in my opinion!).
My next new favorite takes some explaining, so bear with me!
Last week I went out to lunch with some lovely ladies and I again had leftover pizza. I carried my leftovers for about 30 seconds before I realized I would rather give them to someone- I just wasn’t sure who! We entered a make-up store where I intended to purchase my usual Clinique powder; however, they were out. But they showed me to Este Lauder. Okay, so, I sincerely thought Este Lauder was an “old lady” brand of make-up, but I went ahead and decided to give it a try (without inquiring as to the cost!). As I approached the cashier (pizza box in hand), the lady exclaimed “oh, you brought me lunch!” And I replied “sure, would you like it?” She laughed. I again stated, “I am serious, would you like it? It’s too much for me, you can really have it.” Her expression mutated into one of surprise and excitement as she accepted the pizza…”Thank you, thank you!” She replied, laughing and smiling as she rang me up…I signed the receipt and she gave me a free Este Lauder gift bag! I was so excited! I exited the store as if on a cloud, listening to the grateful woman’s exclamations of pleasure as she revealed her prize to her coworkers. I simply was amazed at how sincerely thankful this woman was for the pizza and I felt something click inside me. It wasn’t until later I realized that Este Lauder is NOT an “old lady” brand and it is not exactly cheap…oops. Oh well, it was worth it.
The next night, Ben, Kelly and I went to dinner at an Applebee’s type restaurant (Spur). I ordered BBQ chicken and they gave me two large pieces. No way was I going to finish that! So I took my second piece for take away and gave it to the parking lot attendant. Again, he appeared thankful for the food and ate it right then and there. All of this to say, I love being able to share what I am able to give and seeing the looks of delight on the recipients face. I intend to have a stock of crackers and other basic food items on hand at all times in our car so that I can give them out to people as I feel moved to do so. From now on, parking lot attendants will be given not only a monetary tip, but a beverage or snack- I assume it gets hot in those parking lots and it is the least I can do!
Another new favorite of mine is the weather. We can experience a thunderstorm (with some pretty spectacular lightning), an immaculate sunrise/sunset and blue skies all in a day. I like that I am able to catch a few rays and also snuggle up under a blanket as the thunder booms outside. Here’s a new learned interesting fact for you: When it is raining and the sun is shining at the same time here in South Africa, it is referred to as a “Monkey’s Wedding.” Not sure why…but that is what it is called! And I actually might miss this weather when we go home…but I think we have Monkey’s Weddings in Kansas on occasion too….
There is more I have learned throughout our time here….also contributing to a few of my favorite things. I am sure you have noticed our fun-filled weekends. We have seen and experienced a lot here and it is causing me to realize just how much we haven’t seen and experienced at home. I am thinking that when we get back to the States we will take a few more weekend road trips to say the least. In the past, time has always been an issue for me and that is why I have declined these outings…we just didn’t have the time to do so! There is the possibility I will be just as busy upon our return, but I think that I will have to slow down a bit and take the time to do the fun stuff too…like hang out with friends and family (I didn’t do enough of this when we were back home!!), explore the States in more depth, bake, scrapbook, read, write….
Well my friends, those are a few of my new favorite things here in South Africa. There are more, but I believe I better end this blog for now. After all, I have more to blog about on other topics!
2 comments:
Hey friend! I stumbled upon your blog and am SO GLAD I DID!
I think of you guys often.
We're praying for you back home. :)
-Sara SOON TO BE ROBERTSON (!!!)
Aww, thanks! So excited for you!
Post a Comment