Monday, October 12, 2009

...and the thunder rolls....

It's true. The title of this blog is also my status on Facebook. It's not for lack of creativity, but for the simple fact that this thunder is quite amazing and deserves to be spoken of in multiple outlets. And, since Facebook and this Blog are 2 of my 3 greatest connections to home, it gets coverage in both locations.

It's been threatening rain all day today. The thunder has been mocking the Earth with it's loud boom on and off all throughout the day. Then the clouds come and go...allowing the sun to peep through and scorch the ground and land cover that much more... Occasionally the clouds join in this teasing dance with a few raindrops here and there. But for the most part, the Earth is left begging for more.

I stood in the rain for a moment. If it could be called rain. It's more accurate to say I stood in the single fling of a handful of rain from above. Like the Earth, I wanted more... I had hoped to title this blog "singin' in the rain," but unfortunately I was just "singin' in the fling!"

It's funny, this "fling" here in South Africa...just how much of an effect it has on the population here. I am sure if you were to ask any South African about today's weather they would say it was a "horrible" storm or something of that nature. Traffic stops, literally for that "fling." The grocery store was all but deserted this morning. I can't help but wonder what they would do with a Kansas spring thunderstorm...let alone the sound of a tornado siren! My goodness...it would be mass chaos I believe!

I suppose that is why God reserves some weather to certain parts of His world. If He made it the same in every location, sure, we would all be familiar with it all. But then home would not be HOME. Does that make sense? We wouldn't miss or fully appreciate a fresh winter snow in the midst of October. Or the scorching temperatures of homes further South. We wouldn't comprehend the ferocity of a whirlwind or earthquake or hurricane. It would all just be the same. And if there is anything I am learning about God's creation, it's that He likes variety...in His kids, in His flowers, in His animals, in His landscape...the list goes on.

So for now, I am in South Africa. Home to many. Sitting in our (South African) bed listening to the thunder roll... and pondering the downpours of our home back home...

4 comments:

Matt said...

Geez! I was thinking that you had been in South Africa soo little time and that it seemed like a long time, but I looked over at the sidebar and saw blogs from, June, July, August, September, and now October. It actually has been quite a while. 5 months! and it seems like it was just like 1 month ago! I guess school has kept me busy!

Benanda said...

Yes, time has moved quicker than I thought it would!

Kelley said...

i thought sa would have awesome thunderstorms. i guess i made that up. but i bet you are able to get some cool pictures of the clouds. miss you dear.

Benanda said...

it is supposed to have cool tstorms....but it's mostly lightning shows...i don't think they have started quite yet...but I hear they are coming!