Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The birds are all around me...

I am aware that I have previously blogged about the birds- not specifically, but amongst other posts. That said, the time has come for the birds to own their very own blog.

Our SA house backs up to the electric "fence" (brick wall with electric wire on top). Directly behind the fence is a large hedge of trees. And in these trees live the birds. Lots of birds...birds of all different shapes and sizes, colors and varieties. We also live close to a little park here in the Estate...this park is also a favored hot spot for the birds of South Africa.

Now that you understand my close proximity to the birds, let me explain some of our interactions.

The birds begin their day early around 3:45/4am. I learned this after experiencing a few sleepless nights. They start quiet, one singing, then another...and another...and another...until their is a great symphony of bird voices swirling around our house. It's funny, but about 2pm they have reached their climax. That's usually when I am on the phone with my Mom and then she gets to hear the birdsong with me.

Some of the birds are aggressive. There is a bird who lives in a tree near the outdoor washbasin beneath our master bathroom window. This washbasin is also right by another downstairs window...and for some reason this bird LOVES to peck his beak against the window and washbasin. Hard. Over and over and over again...all throughout the day starting around 6am. I have gotten a glimpse of him before and he always looks at me and flies safely back to his perch in the tree, only to dive again moments later. One day he even moved to the kitchen window...and let me tell you, this had me startled!

I have met some other obnoxious birds. These birds appear just plain angry. I will be running or walking, minding my own business when I hear the angriest SQUAWK I have ever heard. Sometimes these birds will swoop low over my head or chase me (they are kinda big!).

Additionally, just the other day I was sitting outside on our patio with the sliding door open into our living area. As I was sitting there I heard the sound of a beak against the window pane. From INSIDE our living room. The bird was banging his beak (with grasshopper in his mouth) against the only closed window in the living room. Mind you, the open windows were hardly open wide enough for a bird to fit through- but he managed to get in somehow! Anyway, I cautiously made my way towards the bird. He flew towards the door- but couldn't seem to find his way through the HUGE opening and he flew back across the inside of our home... Fortunately, he did make his way out of the little window opening again. Poor guy dropped his meal on the driveway and sat there staring up at the window like "what just happened?" I closed the windows after that.

We also have some "weaver" birds who live in the bunch of trees over the wall. I can see them from our windows. These birds are bright green/yellow in color and basically attractive to observe. They build these round nests that hang from skinny tree branches. It's interesting to watch as they build their nest. I also recently learned that it is the male who builds the nest, then, if it is not to the female's standards, the nest is knocked down and a new build is begun. I don't think they are anything like humans ;)

So anyway...there you have it. Some fun little tid-bits on our birds. Did I mention that overall I do enjoy their company? I like their music and even the tapping isn't that bad. Helps me feel as though I am not alone.

No comments: