Friday, October 16, 2009

My word

I managed to go to a Petrol (gas) station for the first time today (without Ben and I was in the driver's seat!). True, I am not a fan of fueling up at home, but at least I can do it on my own and don't have to worry about tipping, etc. Anyway, I did it. Funny- the guy washing my windows asked if it was my car and I believe he started to say that it was either "too big" or "too nice" for me. I cut him off though and said it is my husband's car. (I didn't want to give him a chance to put his foot in his mouth). He looked slightly surprised to hear "husband" come from my mouth, but what's new about that?

After taking care of the gas tank, Kelly and I made our way to the Rosebank African Craft Market. We followed the many detour signs with success and I managed to find us a nice up and close spot. Woohoo! Go me! Now, I have been to this market a few times and I have found two people whom I trust to buy from. I ignore the rest- which is a task, let me tell you! It's basically a pathway lined with people saying "come into my stand! look here, buy something small! looking is free!" So we barrelled down the tunnel to my favorite guy where I managed to snag quite the deal on a "green gift" for the "green Edler Christmas gift exchange." This guy is so great. Not pushy, just kind. I do so like kind and trust-worthy people.

Next stop? The lady's stand whom I trust. She is also not pushy, just friendly and obviously hard-working. I bought a few more small gifts from her, as did Kelly and we were on our way. Of course we had to make our way out of the mass of seller's first. One guy actually said "I've been waiting for you!" I said "I'm sure you have!" and kept walking. We did stop for a moment at the exit to peruse some brochures...at which point we were approached. By a young man in a red t-shirt.

He started with small talk (what a trickster), asking where we were from (I didn't respond directly!) and then accused me of saying I would return to his stand. He changed his story a few times as he swore I had given my word. I assured him that I am a person of my word and I actually did return to the market once to buy something from a particular man there because I had told him I would. But he continued to insist that I had promised him to look in his shop and he had not forgotten. I finally concluded this absurd conversation with "I'm sorry if we somehow hurt you, but we are leaving." And we walked away.

As we made our way to the smoothie stand (stressful situations call for a smoothie/icee/ice cream!) I was consistently bothered by this man's accusation. I do not like people who say they are going to do something and don't do it, so I am always very careful to only say what I mean...and hold true to my word. My word is good. How could this man harass me of doing quite the opposite of what I always set out to do? Kelly was also quite angry with the man and confidently stated she would tell this man such if we saw him again. What a great pal, Miss Kelly.

Fortunately for him, our paths did not cross again.

You know, if I hadn't been so sleep deprived and caught off guard, I probably could have done a better job at getting this guy off our back. I was trying to be nice and perhaps my niceness appeared to him as weakness. But I will tell you what. I will NEVER set foot in this man's shop. You have my word.

No comments: