The above photo was taken by Lacey Whitmer during Cale's newborn photo shoot (which I still intend to write about!)...but I am including it here because it very well displays Charlotte's two-year-old self. Sweet and ornery!
Anyway, my sweet Charlotte turned 2 this week... October 4... at 6:32am to be exact.
Funny, that's the time she woke up on her birthday, too. I heard her voice call out, "Mama, mama, MAMA!" as I laid there in my bed trying to doze just a little while longer. But then I remembered with much excitement that today was a special day..Charlotte's second birthday! And when I glanced at my phone before dragging my body out of bed, I took note of the time...6:32am! The time of my precious daughter's birth two years ago...1:32pm in Johannesburg South Africa to be exact.
I ever so carefully slid my arm away from Cale, who had fallen asleep in my arms after I last nursed him about half an hour before...and excitedly entered my daughter's room.
There she stood, brown curls tousled and blanky in hand. "Mama!" She matter-of-factly stated. (Oh it feels so good to hear and see my sweet girl say this word! I don't think it will ever get old...)
I sang her happy birthday as I collected her into my arms and carried her into the living room. She laughed along with me, apparently able to tell Mama was excited about something. And that something included her!
But of course she had to ask about her baby brother, CALE before we could go any further. She knew the answer to his whereabouts; however, and said, "Mama? Baby Tale (Cale sounds like Tale when Charlotte says it) seeping (she omits the 'l' from sleeping)."
We sat on the couch together for a few minutes. Charlotte, sucking her thumb and me just cuddling my baby girl, remembering and cherishing the moment. Then, in the darkness of the wee morning hours, Charlotte was able to see that the dining room was not as it usually is.
"MAMA!" Charlotte excitedly stated as she pointed to the adjoining room.
I smiled and turned on the light to reveal the decorated room... Charlotte banner, happy birthday sign, pink tulle encompassing the chandelier, her special South Africa table cloth, birthday gifts and activities to play throughout her special day....and a lime green birthday balloon tied to her yellow chair.
Charlotte laughed and squealed with delight as I placed her in the yellow chair with her balloon.
Oh she knew, alright. She totally knew she was the guest of honor, the girl of the day! The BIRTHDAY girl!
Daddy showed up then with a box of birthday donuts. Charlotte was delighted! A donut with sprinkles with a side of m&m's. I'd say that's a pretty sweet (literally!) breakfast for a two year old birthday girl!
Though we rather he would have stayed and enjoyed birthday donuts with us... Daddy had to leave for work. (Maybe next year he can spare a vacation day!? I am thinking YES...it will be a Friday after all...)
Cale awoke as we dined on our truly healthy birthday breakfast. He chilled in the bouncy chair (and mama's arms...) while Charlotte started in on her first birthday activity: coloring a wooden cupcake decoration.
Charlotte LOVES to color and draw. I think that cupcake entertained her for at least an hour or more throughout the day. She is very intentional with her drawings, too. She draws a little squiggle, laughs and says what it is. Usually her drawings are of: Mama, baby Tale, Daddy, Charlotte, Gwama, Papa, Aunt Piss, Aunt Pam, dolphins, hearts, Molly, rabbits and trucks. Quite the assortment, I know!
After breakfast we went to Wonderscope to play with one of Charlotte's friends. The girls had a blast playing in the little farmer's market and in the golf ball room! It's going to be fun to watch these two little cuties grow up together...
The rest of our day was pretty relaxed as we waited for Daddy to come home. We ate some Chef Boyardee, (Charlotte's current absolute favorite!), nap time and more coloring and snuggling.
Charlotte made sure Daddy knew she was "two!" She showed him a few times by trying to hold her fingers just right. But, alas, that's still a little tough to figure out!
We were all excited for desert. I baked mini chocolate cakes the night before and had pink frosting, sprinkles, chocolate chips and m&m's to decorate. In between bites of chocolate chips and sprinkles, Charlotte somehow managed to decorate her special cake.
My heart felt so full as I watched the joy on my daughter's face. Still does as I look at these photos. She was so happy! And I could tell she felt special on her special day. Which was really my goal for the day. I didn't want to over-stress (like I did last year) and miss the meaning of the day.
I think Charlotte had more fun poking and playing with her cake than eating it. She was a little concerned about making a mess (she is so funny like that!). Notice the icing on her shirt? She got a big ol' glob on her shirt which we quickly had to scrape off. Fortunately she did not have a typical two-year-old melt-down. She just whimpered for a minute and resumed playing with her cake.
Then she simply took her shirt off and got to work cleaning up the mess. Because that's what this two-year-old-birthday-girl does on her birthday. (I tried to help! But of course she wanted to push the brooms around. Not watch Mommy do it!)
Oh, my sweet Charlotte. You truly are full of joy. And I LOVE being your Mommy. I love that I get to be the one to spend my days with you, hearing your silly jokes (that are becoming more clear every day!), listening to you read (one of my favorite things in this life!), bargaining with you to eat healthy foods (I hope some day this is not a bargaining game!), watching you dance (I hope you aren't embarrassed by the oh-so-coordinated-moves I've taught you...) and experiencing your learning (you are seriously like a SPONGE! You are learning SO MUCH right now!). I pray you never lose your joyful spirit. And I pray you know Jesus made you...He LOVES YOU and you need Him. Oh sweet girl, you need Him.
Love you...Mommy.





No comments:
Post a Comment