Of course Miss Charlotte had a few Uncles, an Aunt, a few cousins and all of her grandparents who wanted to celebrate her turning 2 with her as well. So we put together a little party at the park.
It's risky planning anything outdoors. But we like the outdoors and sometimes it is simply worth the risk. Terribly hot weather or cold. We can remove or add layers as needed.
Charlotte's birthday party day ended up being slightly on the chilly side. Apparently the Kansas cold weather decided to trickle in during her birthday week. Poor girly! She woke up on her birthday party morning with a runny nose.
"Mama! NOSE! Wunnin!" (mama, nose running) was recited many times by my sweet girl on this particular day.
By the time party time arrived, it was apparent Charlotte was simply not feeling well. But we forged on ahead. Just layered her up, brought some Kleenex and lots of sugary goodness.
She really wasn't up for playing on the equipment as usual. She tried swinging, but looked a little dazed. So I decided that maybe we should just go enjoy some cake and company instead. I had forgotten to bring Kleenex with me up to the play area anyway...and Charlotte's little nose just kept "wunnin."
Cale didn't seem to be too concerned with where the party took place, who was around, what the weather was like, etc. He just snoozed away in a snuggly blue blanket in the arms of one person after another...
Uncle Matt...
Cousin Sarah...
I wasn't up for a ton of decorating this year. So I just had a big poster made of Charlotte's newborn photo, 1 year photo and (almost!!) 2 year photo. She loves Curious George and on one of the recent episodes George made a big poster of the Man with the Yellow Hat for his birthday party. Charlotte thought that was hilarious, so I thought she would also get a kick out of her big poster.
I think the "wunnin" nose put a damper on her excitement. She just kind of half smiled and moved on. Aw well. What can ya do?
I will tell you what you can do. You can have Grandma Darcie bake up and decorate a yummy birthday cake with Curious George on top.
Charlotte was a little bashful during the singing and candle blowing. But she did manage to sample a little bit of icing...
And give a coy grin.
Grandma Darcie ended up helping with the candle blowing part.
We served up the cake on Charlotte's monty (monkey) plates. She picked them out at Target. Along with the table cloth. I actually tried to NOT get the table cloth but she was quite adamant about getting it. Such a funny and opinionated little lady I have! So I splurged a bit on the $2 plastic table cloth for her 2nd birthday party.
And cousin Shaun ensured Charlotte ate her monster size of birthday cake.
He fed it to her. Bite by bite. And she ate it! Bite by bite! She kept looking back at him, like, wow...I am not exactly sure who you are, but I sure do like that you are feeding me cake. Because Mommy and Daddy sure don't do this....
I gotta say, though. That cake seemed to do the trick! Charly livened right up after that sugar kicked in! Oh, her nose still kept wunnin, but at least she was having fun!
She had fun chasing her cousin Landin around and playing with her new soccer ball from "Untle Pwis." (Uncle Chris.)
| Landin and Charlotte |
It's amazing what a little sugar can do. So glad my Charly girl was able to have a good time at her 2nd birthday party! In spite of a wunnin nose and chilly weather!


No comments:
Post a Comment