Thursday, January 19, 2012

the Little Red Hen


Charlotte LOVES to read.

Well, she loves to either have books read to her OR say "dadaba baba mama" and turn the pages.

She's a funny one, Miss Charlotte.  Because she is very picky choosy with her books.  When we sit down to read she will point and say "uhuhuhuh" until you get to her choice book of the week.  

And then...we read it together.  And then we read it together again....and again...and again....etc.

Her first favorite book was "Are you my mother?"  It's about a little birdie who falls from his nest and goes in search of his mother.  HE even gets picked up by a "very, scary SNORT!"  Which is quite traumatic for the poor little birdie.  (During Charlotte's "are you my mother?" phase we visited Lowe's and she saw a real, live SNORT!  Needless to say, she clung to me, her mother :)  But lo and behold that ol' SNORT places the little birdie right back into his nest- and who shows up but seconds later?  Shall I make you read to find out?  Ah, you guessed it:  his mother! 

Charlotte received more than a few new books for Christmas- which is exciting!  It took awhile, but she eventually warmed up to "Hop on Pop" by Dr. Seuss.  It's a rhyming book with many funny pictures and sayings.  And sometimes after reading this book, Charlotte likes to truly "hop on pop!" 

While "Hop on Pop" is quite the entertainer, I memorized that book quite quickly.  And so I had to hide it.  And pull out a new one Dr. Suess's "ABC."  It didn't take long for Charlotte to develop a liking for this old classic!  And I didn't have the heart to hide it...so I decided to make it more interesting for myself.  I now sing the book.  I try and make up a new tune to sing it to every time.  It has helped tremendously in our reading of "ABC" and I have actually grown quite fond of it.  

But then Charlotte found "The Little Red Hen."  You know, it's a golden book classic.  Charlotte could listen to "The Little Red Hen" again and again and again.  And...I gotta be honest.  I can too.  Interestingly enough....this is the book I had my mommy and grandma read to me over and over and over again "all those years ago...."


So...miss Charlotte...what's next up on our reading agenda?


"The Belly Button Book?"  Yup...looks like that might be it as we have already read it about 15 times in the past 24 hours.


P.S.)  Charlotte...I love reading with you.  It's my favorite.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

haha sounds like LB. I dont know how many times I have read his little critter books to him or his dr.suess ones. Its great that the kiddos love to read just hope soon they will be doing it to themselves without all our help :) Miss you friend!

Dana Butler said...

The snort book is isaac's favorite too... he makes me rush through all the pages till we get to the snort page and then makes lots of "snort" noises... :) love it. :)