Friday, March 11, 2011

through the eyes of my daughter


Charlotte woke up around 5:40am this morning...a little over an hour earlier than her usual wake up call. I think she must be preparing for Daylight Savings, which begins Sunday- don't forget to Spring Forward 1 hour everyone!

Anyway, I was (and still am!) exhausted. At first, I just laid there in bed listening to her jabber...thinking...maybe she will go back to sleep? No such luck!

So, I rolled out of bed, gathered up my sweet girl and set her in her bouncy chair while I showered (this is our morning routine...she plays in her seat directly outside the shower where I can see her and I shower. Some people have to drink coffee to get their day going, well, I have to take a shower to get mine going!). Shower complete, I still wasn't fully awake.

So, I picked up Charlotte and fumbled my way to the kitchen. As I said, I'm not a coffee drinker...so I felt at a loss as to what to consume to wake myself up a bit. I decided upon Chocolate Chai Tea (thanks Kelley! It has caffeine!), brown sugar poptarts (I know, healthy, right?) and strawberries. I felt a little better after breakfast and so Charlotte and I returned to my bedroom to dress and prep for the day.

Now, for the point of this blog.

I like to sing...but I don't have the greatest voice in the world. I especially enjoy singing while getting going in the morning. And, this morning as I belted out one of my favorite tunes, my hair unkempt, dark circles under my eyes, bathrobe clad...I glanced at my Charlotte. There she was just smiling up at me. Eyes shining.

My heart lurched. It does again as I type this. Through Charlotte's eyes...the eyes of my daughter... I am pretty...she loves the sound of my voice, the way my hair falls in her eyes as I hold her and she doesn't even notice those dark circles under my eyes.

I am blessed.

But then...I find myself struck yet again. Charlotte's love and acceptance of me is nothing compared to JESUS' love and acceptance of me...and you.

Have a blessed day...

1 comment:

caseyportman said...

Hi there - love reading your blog (I'm a friend of Erica's, and may have commented once before). I have a daugther too - and although she is now a 2-year old, I still think she thinks I hung the moon ;o) She claps when I sing, or says "yeah!" when I pull cookies out of the oven...it's amazing. Have you ever heard the Martina McBride song "in my daughter's eyes"? That's it right there! :)