Lent is supposed to be a season of "fasting and penitence" in preparation for Easter....Jesus' resurrection from the dead. And therefore the reason we can be forgiven for our sins and live a life in relationship with Christ!
And therefore (haha, I'm overusing this phrase for the fun of it) I should really focus on fasting from something that has taken my attention away from Jesus. And I should focus that attention back onto Him.
So. First, I have a confession to make. I like to shop. I also love clothes. And I really like to shop for clothes when they are on sale. I don't think I am a shopaholic and I really don't even think I overspend. But I do think I have become OBSESSED at times in finding a cute outfit for special occasions. Especially Easter Sunday. I get frustrated when I can't find what I'm looking for at the price I want to spend...when I want to get it. And I also have become a bit distraught when I have a coupon for one of my favorite stores...but I don't get to use it. All that to say...I'm not going to buy myself any clothing for the next 40 days.
Yikes. That means no new Easter Sunday outfit this year.
But really? That's not the point of Easter anyway! I have thought about this for the past 3 weeks....and I've gone back and forth on actually doing this.
Then, this past Sunday at church...here is the scripture we studied:
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth. For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lillies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?' For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6 vs. 19-34 (NASB, emphasis added)
For me? That was the clincher.
And therefore, I intend to meditate on this passage of scripture over the next 40 days and hopefully memorize this passage. Even as I typed it out for you, I felt myself being drawn to new parts....hearing God's Voice speaking to me. That's how I know it's a passage I really need to memorize and take to heart! I'm excited to see how God uses this Scripture in my life over the lenten season. I'm excited to learn and grow closer to Him through this!
And therefore....Thank You Jesus for Your Word.
1 comment:
You can totally memorize it! I memorized this exact passage a few weeks ago, because I tend to worry! It only took about a week for me to really get it down and it has been so wonderful having it memorized so I can reflect on it when I need it...not just when I am near a bible!
Post a Comment