In my previous blog I mentioned a haircut I received...a haircut I was (and am) none too pleased with. I concluded my blog by reminding myself it is just hair and it will grow back; however, the remaining events of the weekend quickly changed my "positive" attitude.
We received notice from the office that the "City" would be cutting electricity this Valentine's Day from 8am-4pm. That seems a little absurd if you ask me. If this were America they would either cut the electricity at night or during the week when most people are at work. But no, not South Africa. No they choose the weekend. They choose a holiday. They choose Valentine's Day!
Anyway, since we had the "early" warning, Ben and I made sure we were awake by 6:45am on Sunday so that we could get in warm showers, I could blow dry and style my new hair style (which absolutely must be blown dry and straightened to look decent), and we could eat a warm breakfast. As I am showering, the power shuts off. At 7:05AM! Ummm, hello, South Africa?? You said 8:00am! And some people woke up early to accommodate the ludicrous schedule! Fortunately the hot water held out (barely) for us to complete our showers. We were able to jump start our stove with a lighter (it is gas) to make a semi-warm breakfast.
BUT, I was not able to style my hair. You can imagine my dismay as I feebly tried to do something, anything with my hair to look nice on Valentine's Day. No such luck. I figured our fellow church-goers would be understanding, so I enjoyed church with my mess of hair. Since the power would be back on at 4:00pm and our dinner reservations were not until 6:00pm, I figured I would have plenty of time to get my hair looking nice for our "romantic" evening out.
After church, lunch and errands, Ben and I returned to our SA abode around 2:30pm. Just an hour and a half to go. We lazed around, played a game, and before we knew it, the time was 4:30pm. Still no power. Then it was 5:00pm. Then 5:15pm. 5:30pm. I gave up. Of course they weren't going to turn the power back on at the time they said! Why would they? I tried styling my hair again, with no such luck. I was so disappointed. The whole point of getting my hair cut this week was so that it would look nice for Valentine's Day. I finally concluded all of South Africa had conspired together to ensure I would have bad hair for our only South African Valentine's Day. Fortunately Ben loves me for more than just my hair :)
The rest of our evening was actually quite nice, in spite of the disastrous hair and no electricity. We dined on delicious food and saw the movie "Valentine's Day." (Pretty cute although there were a couple scenes/plot lines I could have done without...)
We rolled in our driveway around 10:15pm to find our electricity had finally been turned back on. I hope our food didn't spoil....
No comments:
Post a Comment