So I have been working part time for the past couple months...from home. When I signed up for this, I thought, "piece of cake! I can visit the families in the evenings and do all of the paperwork/computer work while Charlotte is napping!"
I did not think about how taking care of Charlotte is already a FULL time job in and of itself. A full time job which I LOVE by the way!
I did not think about how little time Charlotte naps...I mean, sometimes, she will do a good four hours spread between two naps, but still!
I did not think about how, in dedicating Charlotte's nap times to work, I would be sacrificing my "free time." (headband making, crafting, baking, cooking scrumptious dinners, reading...)
I did not think about how messy my house would get. And man, let me tell you...this place is a pit! Probably the messiest I have ever allowed our house to get in our 5+ years of marriage...
I did not realize how exhausted I would feel at the end of the day.
I did not think about how daylight savings would happen (HATE daylight savings, by the way. Worst. Idea. Ever. Totally not cool) and Charlotte would think that 4am was the time to wake up for the first three days of dumb daylight savings time (seriously, for those who want to "save daylight," please be my guest. But don't inflict it upon those of us with babies!).
Sometimes I have to work while Charlotte is awake. And I admit, I allow her to make messes of areas I prefer she not make messes. Why? Because it keeps her occupied! And enables me to get a little work done. Oh boy, and isn't that fun! Because then I get to clean it up after I finish working. But I must admit, she looks and sounds pretty cute as she is making those messes. I snapped a couple of photos and then realized I have no way to share those with you right now because I don't have a computer with which to do so.
Yes, our lap top died. I fortunately have access to a lovely lap top from work in the interim; however, there is not an SD drive to load the photos. So I am sorry you don't get to see my cute girl hamming it up in the midst of her "handiwork."
I do want to make it clear that I do enjoy my job. I like interacting with foster families and coworkers (whenever I have a chance to stop by the office!) and simply engaging that part of my brain. I love to write, especially Homestudies. Seriously, if I could have a job just writing homestudies, I would take it. I love that I can play some small part in uniting families. I am glad that I did it. Just a little tired.
Anyway, that's that. I am blessed to be able to stay home with Charlotte. And I am blessed to be back working with KVC. By the way, my part-time job only lasts through the end of this month...
2 comments:
I bet if you worked out it you could find a way to contract with adoption agencies and attorneys to do home studies on your own and you would be fantastic!
Christy who commented above had a great idea. I know you're doing a fantastic job for KVC though... but it sure does sound like you're stretched thin!! Wow... And I just hafta echo the complaint about this whole daylight savings time NONSENSE. It is TERRIBLE. I'll just say I have NOT gotten enough sleep in the last week. Nope.
Post a Comment