Wednesday, June 29, 2011

First Family Vacay: Seattle


While living in South Africa, Ben and I were fortunate to travel all around the country...(and even to Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana). It seemed so easy...but we realized, in talking with the locals, that we were seeing more of the country than many of them ever had in their lifetime living there. As we thought about this fact, we realized that truth held for us back in the USA. Separately and combined, Ben and I have seen very little of the USA! Of course this probably has a lot to do with the fact that traveling costs money and time...both things we have to spend sparingly. Anyway, Ben and I decided that upon our return to the USA, we wanted to travel more. So we started planning our first family vacay even before we left South Africa.

Of course, we kept in mind our finances and time would be limited...so we looked at locations with family (free place to stay...and good company!). My brother lives in Seattle and is always eager for company. So we chose Brock as our first family vacation destination and cashed in some of our frequent flier miles to make the trip.

As the date of our vacation drew nearer, Charlotte became more and more mobile....vocal.....antsy....less prone to nap....etc. And I became more and more nervous and exhausted.... But that was okay- because we were going on VACATION! We packed our bags (when I say "we," I mean "I") and we headed to the airport. I tried to pack our carry-on items strategically. We only carried on the car seat, opting to leave the stroller behind and only bring the Baby Bjourn to carry our sweet girl as needed. I packed 3 diapers in the small diaper bag and another 6 diapers in the big diaper bag. A change of clothes (for both of us)....plenty of snacks, Charlotte's sippy cup and a special bag full of toys. Quiet, non-noise-maker toys.

I must pause here to say "I love the Kansas City Airport." It is small and easy to navigate, security is a breeze and I just plain prefer it to all other major airports I have frequented during my lifetime.

Anyway, the flights went pretty well. Charlotte only had a little difficulty during the landing process (the pressure change on her ears). She also managed to bump her little noggin on the seat in front of us- but we quickly distracted her with the best toy ever: the laminated airplane safety manual. While she did reach some major high octaves, I kept my cool. Ben had a little more difficulty with this (which is surprising, because usually I AM the one who can't handle crying! I think he was more worried about the other people...).

And here's a little tip of advice to those traveling with a baby: When you book your seats, chose seats towards the REAR of the plane. The noise from the airplane works as a white noise and seemed to soothe Charlotte to sleep. She slept best on the flight we were seated in the rear of the plane. Not only did this location help Charlotte to sleep better, it also would have masked her crying if she became upset. And we were close to the toilets.

Good ol' Daddy took care of the in-flight diaper changes. (I didn't get off the hook, my friends. I drew the short stick and got to change Charlotte's massive Baby Bjourn blow-out in the airport bathroom. Yup. Poop on her clothes, up her back, on my clothes and on the Baby Bjourn. Awesome).

So we made it to Seattle in one piece. Uncle Brock met us at the airport and eagerly took his niece into his arms (so happy to pass her off and give my arms a break!). We loaded into the rental car (Brock is a stud and has a really cool bachelor dude car...not quite conducive to a car seat and 3 full-grown adults...not to mention it was in the shop anyway...) and headed to Brock's bachelor pad: a 1 bedroom apartment. My brother rocks- he gave us the bedroom, which really was quite spacious! Our little family of 3 slept soundly and safely in his bed...with a knife-spear thing hanging on the wall above our heads (funny, this thing actually fell off the wall one night and almost hit me in the head as I nursed Charlotte! Hilarious!) and a few large guns under the bed (he is an Army Veteran!).

When we started the week, Charlotte was barely beginning to crawl. She was more or less scooting a couple feet and then rolling over. Things changed at Uncle Brock's. Charlotte took off! I think it was the shaggy carpet...gave her better traction and something to grab and pull herself forward. Her new found mobility led her to obtain her very first shiner. I talked about it in her 8 month post...but basically, as I was finishing up dinner one evening, Charlotte army crawled her way over to Uncle Brock's living-room desk and grabbed hold of the cord connected to his desk lamp...yanked...and down it came smack dab onto her eye socket. I flipped out, grabbed her into my arms and did my best to soothe her (yeah, you heard the story already)....poor baby ended up with quite the black eye. And I a bad attitude for not protecting her. (I am constantly reminding myself there is NOTHING I can do to protect Charlotte from anything. She belongs to God and HE has a plan for her. One that even includes black eyes on vacation. But it is good and perfect and He is taking care of her...)

On with the trip.

Besides a black eye and airplane rides, we did visit some hot spots while in Seattle.

We visited a lake near my brother's house. Brock spotted a cute girl here and we discussed how shy we are when it comes to meeting random new people and he decided not to attempt a "move" on her. We took a walk on the pier instead. And went back to his house for some A MAZ ING ribs! My brother knows how to GRILL! DE LIC IOUS. I love my brother. And not just because he cooks great ribs.



He also knows cool people. He is friends with a guy who owns a fishing boat- you know, the kind on that deep sea fishing show on Discovery channel? YEAH! So cool. We got to tour the boat...and Charlotte posed for a pic at the wheel (which is just for looks because boats don't really need that wheel to navigate the waters). He was a little embarrassed that we wanted to walk up the dock and look at all the boats. Apparently he and his fishermen buddies joke about the "tourist" who partake of this activity. But, such a trooper, he walked along with us as we gawked at all the boats. And since he knows awesome fisherman, he also knows where the fishermen like to eat. So we ate fish and chips at the cutest little bay side diner ever. I loved it.




We stopped by a little park with a great view of Seattle...see the Space needle in the background?




Then of course we had to visit Pike Place Market. Unfortunately this wasn't as "fun" as I had imagined. It was pretty busy and we were fast walkers...so we toured the market in record time. I'd say the market is definitely the place to go if you are just going to stop in on your way to a dinner date. Then you can suavely buy a bunch of fresh-cut flowers and dazzle your lady friend. That's Brock's plan at least ;) No flower dazzling for me...I bought some dried lavender instead. We ended up eating an early dinner at a restaurant Brock has always wanted to dine in but never had the chance. Good but not as good as that bay side diner...or Brock's ribs.


The next day was one we were all excited about: Mount Rainier! It was a two hour drive. Or was it three? I don't know...I just remember thinking it was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be (I expected a 45 minute drive since the mountain is "right there" in Seattle. Shows my geography skills...). Fortunately Charlotte slept throughout most of the drive...snug as a bug in a rug. The clouds grew thick as we drew closer to the mountain....fortunately we got in a mini-hike before it started SNOWING. Totally didn't see that one coming. The higher we got on the mountain, the less visibility we had and the higher the snow drifts came. When we finally reached the trail head, it was basically a blizzard. And that meant no hiking for us. Boo to that. We walked around the gift shop instead and gazed out at the snowy mountain...which we couldn't even really see... Brock will have to return in the summer if he wants a good Mount Rainier hike. Sorry about that, brother....I just didn't even realize there'd be snow up there! But it was pretty....and worth it in the end.










We visited Brock's church with his good friends (and their itty-bitty baby boy!). We Mommies ended up standing out in the foyer with our babies during the service. Some of the best mommy chats and encouragement happen in those moments- and that moment was not any different.

That afternoon we were able to meet up with my Uncle Dan, Aunt Julie and cousins Kaitlan and Danielle at a zoo. It was cold, but the company was perfect. They LOVED seeing Charlotte...and Charlotte loved seeing them! She could have cared less about the animals when she had so many people to love on her and play with. Just wish we could have had more time together! But I will take a couple hours at a zoo in the cold any day if I get to spend time with people I love :)






One of Brock's favorite get away spots is a little park off the beaten path with a light house...and a beach. We made up for our missed Mount Rainier hike there. I even nursed Charlotte while sitting on the beach with the waves crashing down about 100 feet away (hahaha, TMI?? She was hungry! And it was about 2 miles back to the car!). Once Charlotte's belly was satisfied, she and the guys played "throw stuff in the ocean." I think she was amused. She certainly did enjoy watching the waves...









My brother loves the Asian culture. Especially the food. So he took us to a "Pho" restaurant. Pho is Vietnamese noodle soup- one of Brock's favorites. He also cooked stir-fry for us using a Vietnamese seasoning he bought from the Vietnamese market. I know, he is awesome.

Our final full day consisted of a visit to the Snoqualmie Falls (currently under construction....) and Ikea. Ben and I even managed to find a duvet cover we BOTH like. Charlotte got a wooden stackable lighthouse.


When we dropped off the rental car, it was raining. So Charlotte and I stayed in the car while the guys unloaded our bags. The rental car guy fortunately found my joke amusing. I said, "we come with the car." He said, "Perfect! A ready-made family! Beautiful woman and a baby!" (Sure flattered me! And he didn't charge us extra for being a wee bit late...) Did I mention he had a heavy African accent? Kinda made me miss South Africa.

And so, our first family vacay....Seattle. But most importantly, quality time with my brother, Brock. I know, you all want to go visit now....he is quite the tour guide. And ladies? He's single!


No comments: