Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Charlotte: 9 months in this BIG world



This is the first month I didn’t keep little notes of new things Charlotte did throughout the month. I think that is a reflection of how busy the month was and how quickly it flew by! Because it really did…

Charlotte worked hard at learning to crawl and finally began the full fledged army crawl in Uncle Brock’s apartment while on vacation in Seattle. It must have been all of the new stuff to explore. Especially the “dangerous” stuff. As you can see in Charlotte’s 8 month photos, she has a black eye.

Here’s how it happened: She managed to army crawl her way over to Brock’s desk and yank on a cord…connected to a somewhat heavy desk lamp…which fell off the table and onto her face as a result of that strong tug. I, of course, flipped out. I quickly scooped my screaming daughter into my arms and ran to the bathroom mirror (she loves the mirror and I was thinking I could calm her down with the mirror). As soon as we stood in front of the mirror, Charlotte still screaming, I noticed the blue bump rising to the bottom right of her right eye. And another bruise in the middle of her forehead. Somehow, she calmed down and I handed her over to Daddy. Then I let out a little more anger at the event even happening- and returned to comforting Charlotte. Whew. I know that was just the first of many accidents- and we are very fortunate it didn’t do any serious damage. But man, did that stink! You’d think she would have learned her lesson after that, but no. She continued to army crawl her way over to anything she could get her hands on and even attempted to pull Brock’s laptop down off that same desk. I wasn’t about to let that happen. After the lamp incident, I didn’t move more than 6 inches away from Charlotte on that vacation (unless she was safe in the arms of Daddy or Uncle Brock…).

Now that we are home, Charlotte is picking up speed with her army crawl. And Ben and I are refining our baby proofing.

Charlotte also loves to hold onto anybody’s hands and walk. Everywhere. This little lady absolutely LOVES to walk. She gets a huge grin on her face and high steps it from one spot to another. Uncle Brock quickly noted the fact my back will be quite sore from bending over to walk Charlotte. I appreciate his concern J But it’s okay. I know she will be walking on her own soon enough and not want to hold my hands anymore.

She pulled herself up into a supported standing position for the first time on her 8 month birthday- during her 8 month photos in her crib of all places. Pretty impressive. She’s still not quite brave enough to do it a ton, but I’m sure there will be a new report for her 9 month celebration!

Charlotte has two front teeth. Two front bottom teeth, to be exact. She cut the first tooth the week before we went to Seattle and the second tooth while in Seattle (yeah, that was fun…). She looks stinking cute with those teeth too, but she looked cute without them as well. It’s certainly a reminder she is growing up. And fast.

She is eating a lot more these days- well, minus our trip to Seattle. For some reason, she just didn’t eat as much while we were there. I’m sure it was a collection of being tired, a new time schedule, a new location, teething and of course her eye injury. At least she is eating around 2 good meals a day. And she loves puffs! Especially the strawberry apple flavor. She picks them up between her thumb and forefinger and propels them into her mouth. A Dor A Ble.

Charlotte continues to be a very social baby. She lights up around other people, especially children…and especially boys! (uh oh! We got our work cut out for ourselves, I’m sure!) I love to see her interact with other kids. She makes the best expressions. She’s also quite the little ham. She KNOWS she is cute. And she often takes advantage of this fact! When out in public, she will babble, kick her hands and feet and basically strike poses for any onlookers. And as soon as she gets a reaction from someone, she hams it up even further! Well, she hams it up even if they don’t look, because she is determined to get people to look.

One of Charlotte’s favorite activities is to play with Molly. She picks up Molly’s wand toys and waves it around for Molly-hilarious! As soon as Molly gets close, she drops the toy and reaches out for Molly, grabbing whatever fur she can muster. Luckily, Molly also loves Charlotte and doesn’t try to hurt sweet Charlotte. I’m working to teach Charlotte “gentle touches” with Molly. No fur grabbing- because that’s not fair to Molly! Anyway, Molly has her own fair share of fun with Charlotte. When Charlotte sits in her exersaucer, Molly sits on a ledge above her and dangles her paws just out of Charlotte’s reach. I’m so glad my girls enjoy playing with each other!

Charlotte naps at least once a day for around 1.5-2.5 hours, in her crib. It’s great for me. And great for her, really! She gets the sleep she needs and I get stuff done around the house. I will admit some days are difficult to lay her in that crib…especially when she falls asleep in my arms. She just looks so sweet and precious…and I love holding her in my arms. But I also know I can’t cling to her…and so I lay her in her crib to nap.

So those are the biggies in Charlotte’s 8th month. Well, development wise at least. We also became members of Redeemer Fellowship, celebrated our first mother's day together, went in the baby pool for the first time and went on our first family vacation to Seattle, as I mentioned above. I intend to do a blog specific to Seattle in another later post. (Oh and the day after Charlotte’s 8 month, she was dedicated at Redeemer!)

Mother's Day!

Bonjour School Carnival...

She won the cake walk ;)

Swimming!

Every day I am reminded how blessed I am to be Charlotte’s mommy. I can’t thank God enough for choosing me for this huge responsibility! It has always been and continues to be my prayer she might come to know Jesus as her own Savior one day. I pray she understands the Gospel and has a heart for Christ. Most of all, I pray her heart aches for what Jesus’ calls her to be and do. And I pray she listens and follows His will for her life. And I pray I never be a stumbling block to her Daddy’s plan for her life.

No comments: