Monday, February 21, 2011

Physical Therapy

I had my first Physical Therapy session today for my "SI joint." (The Sacroiliac joints are located at the very bottom of the back. You have one either side of the spine. The Sacroiliac joints help make up the rear part of the pelvic girdle and sit between the sacrum (vertebrae S1-S5) and the Ilia (hip bones).

If you are wondering why, don't worry, I am going to now explain that to you.

Basically, it is pretty common for postpartum women to end up with pain in their SI joint. My story is similar to many other women. My body began the laboring process on October 4 but ended up in a c-section. After Charlotte was delivered, my body had trouble getting back to it's normal self; thus resulting in the pain I have been experiencing in my SI joint.

Now, I didn't know that was the case at first. I actually thought the anesthesiologist had made a blunder and I was suffering from nerve damage. Fortunately that is not the case! I first noticed the pain on October 5 as the spinal meds began to wear off. I told my Doctor in South Africa about the pain and she said that it is "normal" for women to have numbness/tingling after a spinal or epidural but it usually goes away at 3 months. She then instructed my to contact my Doctor in the States at 3 months postpartum if the pain had not let up.

It didn't.

So I finally ended up at the Pain Management Clinic on January 9 where the poked and prodded at the problem area and discovered the source of my problem as I explained above. I was then told to take 2 Ibuprofen twice a day with food and participate in Physical Therapy.

Easier said than done!

I took the Ibuprofen for about a week after the appointment. But then I felt like a pill popper and gave up...

I called two Physical Therapist within the first couple days of mt Pain Clinic appointment...but neither accepted our insurance...so I put it off...

Meanwhile, I continued to work out and my pain continued to worsen. Seriously, my hip/low back could barely stand the lightest touch! Ben finally got fed up with me saying "ouch" every time our kitty pawed my hip or Charlotte's foot brushed my thigh and insisted I follow Doctor's orders.

He did the leg work and found a list of therapists who accept our insurance. And so, I made the call and that's where I went today!

I found the appointment quite fascinating, really. It's incredible how our bodies respond to pain. And incredible how much I've really been babying that area! My muscles are beyond tight! I feel a little guilty for not seeking the treatment sooner....I just hope it works soon so I can get back into running!

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experience. Because I never even knew this was something women could experience postpartum....but now I do....and so do you!

No comments: