Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Oh how the snow days have evolved


Charlotte looks a little sad that she doesn't get to go out and play in the snow, doesn't she?


Our house after the first round of shoveling...you can see our footprints in the driveway....ready for another shoveling!


Look how deep!


I was speed shoveling...but my speed kept causing me to fall down. Haha...Ben almost caught me wiping out. I did my best to recover from my fall and make it look intentional...


Here's Ben after our first shoveling. Check out our neighbor across the street....with his snow blower. Hehehehe....



My studly man in his coveralls...

I DO love the SNOW!


Yesterday was a snow day. A "Blizzard" day to be exact. And, as many of you have most likely heard, it has apparently been dubbed the "Snowpocalypse," "Snowmageddon," and the list goes on.

Black and Veatch did not cave in to this extreme weather; however, and required their employees to come on into work anyway. I began to worry about Ben getting home from work by around 10:15am. The snow was coming down pretty good by then and Ben isn't driving the best car for snow...let alone a blizzard. He was hoping BV would send them all home....but that was just a dream. SO Ben made the decision to come on home at noon anyway.....vacation time I guess. Boo to that.

But it sure was good to have Ben home for the afternoon! He worked on shoveling the driveway- multiple times. And during one of Charly's miraculous swing naps, I actually joined him for a bit. I cranked out a good half of the driveway on my own in record timing. I contribute that to being cooped up indoors for so long.

As I shoveled away and slid around in the driveway, I found my mind drifting (much like the snow). Snow days have evolved. Or perhaps more accurately, I have evolved in how I spend and view a snow day.

In elementary school, snow days were an EVENT. A holiday. It meant: NO SCHOOL. Time to play in the snow, build snowmen, snowball fights, sledding...

In high school, snow days continued to be a holiday....no school...sleeping in, sledding and maybe snuggling with my boyfriend if he stopped by (that boyfriend is now my husband!!)....

In college snow days were basically non-existent. That was sad. Such a blow....but at least the snow made for a fun day of getting around campus!

Career days. Snow days were kind of miserable. They don't really call of work for snow days. But I still had that child inside of me who loves snow. It's so enchanting... and so I made the best of it. And had fun driving to and from work in the snowmatic chaos.

And now? Now I have Charly. I'm a stay at home mommy. Most days in the winter are spent indoors, regardless of snow. But that child inside me just wants to run outside and play! (In a few years...I know I will do just that with my Charly girl). For now? I can certainly "settle" for watching the snowfall from indoors, sipping hot chocolate, baking....and snuggling with my husband, my kitty and Charlotte.



What is your favorite thing about snow days?

1 comment:

Kelley said...

The snowflakes! I love laying in bed and watching the snow fall...luckily I can still do that :)