Friday, December 31, 2010

Farewell South Africa.

Here we are when we first arrived in South Africa...just Ben and me.

Here we are leaving South Africa...Ben, me, our friend Kelly, Molly and our sweet Charlotte....and by the way, all that luggage on the cart? Those are only our CARRY-ONS. More to come on our BIG MOVE later :)


South Africa. What a relationship we have had over these past 18 months. When I first arrived, I was full of excitement and ready for the adventure. Within days of our arrival; however, I felt ready to hightail it back to America. Not that I wasn’t excited for all of our traveling…just that I missed my family, friends and my job. It felt so very strange to have so much free time and I didn’t know what to do with myself. What does a mid-twenties gal do besides work? It took me awhile to figure that one out.

I toyed with writing a book…wrote a chapter and designed my characters…and then realized I needed to spend some time doing some in-depth research. And with the setting of my book being the Oregon Trail, my research was limited over here in SA. My writing enthusiasm trickled out more quickly than I had hoped.

I created this blog. Probably one of the favorite things I have done since being here.

I took an online class in Gerontology. I’ve always loved working with older adults and thought…why not? I have the time. It was fun to sign back on to my Alma Mater (GO K-STATE!) as a student for a few months.

I became a runner. Running is now in my blood and I think it’s something I will always do. Now that I know I can actually do it! And it doesn’t take all that long to get in shape, really. 5K…10k here I come! Marathon? Maybe someday…that would be a dream come true.

We decided to have a baby J And God blessed us by answering our prayer for a child…a baby girl even! She’s my favorite accomplishment of my South Africa time. Nothing better.

And when Ben had vacation time…we traveled. Victoria Falls….devil’s pool, Cape Town….Table Mountain…Cape Point….Boulder’s beach, Durban…., Knysna…beaches and hiking, safaris…oh so awesome! I could go on a safari once a month…or at least every other!

Pretty much, we’ve been blessed. Despite all of the frustrating moments and longing for home…South Africa has been fun. I will refrain from recapping the negative moments of our time here. Let’s just focus on the good stuff today.

No comments: