Charlotte was beginning to settle into a routine by the time she hit 8 weeks. But then the immunizations happened and gave her a little setback. We continued with her colic massage a week past what we had intended since the evenings resumed their grittiness for a few days. In the midst of the “immunization recovery,” Charlotte did show some of her cute character. She looked absolutely adorable lounging on the couch with me, legs sprawled out and hand in her mouth. Such a cutie patootie. (It was still Movember when Charlotte got her immunizations...)
We took a family photo in our favorite photo spot at Sunninghill Hospital. We felt bad for the guy who took the photo; however.... he looked to be in pain.... which we didn't realize until he hesitantly agreed to take our photo. Oops.
Charlotte and I had Kelly over on Wednesday to help bake Christmas goodies for Ben and Chris to share with their co-workers. About an hour into our baking, Charlotte “said” she was hungry…so I sat down to feed her. As I fed Charlotte, I sat their looking down at her, thinking she is the cutest thing ever…she stopped eating and smiled up at me: melts my heart! And then….POW. She pooed. BIG time. That poo exploded out the side of her diaper and all over my me, between my legs and around the seat of MY khaki pants. I didn’t know what to do. I just sat there for a minute in shock…saying, “gross, gross, gross, GROSS!” I finally zapped back into it, waddled over to the changing table with Charlotte and asked Kelly to watch her as I changed my pants. (See, Charlotte didn’t need to be changed immediately because most of her poo ended up on me and NOT in her diaper.) I felt like I had pooed my pants, seriously…soooo gross! I did the “two-year-old-pooped-my-pants” walk up the stairs to take care of the mess. I returned to a laughing Kelly and a very relieved Charlotte…and I began to worry about the flight home. I’m thinking, not only will I need to pack multiple clothing options for Charlotte, but also me. Aww, sweet girl…. The stories we have to share with you…
The other excitement from Charlotte’s ninth week includes her first Christmas party. Black and Veatch held a Christmas party for all of the South African based employees. It was a 40 minute drive….well, 1 hour after a wrong turn or two. Charlotte was not a fan of the drive and screamed the last 25 minutes….she was hungry, poor thing! Charlotte was definitely the star of the party in her cute little dress. One guy couldn’t seem to take his eyes off her! (A fellow Daddy, his baby girl is back in the States because his wife has some health issues.) Ben and I felt so blessed and proud to be there with our little sweetness. Charlotte did very well and we were even able to eat our meal in peace. I did have to change Charlotte on the bathroom counter (no changing tables) and feed Charlotte in the car (no privacy elsewhere. Seriously, I need to get this girl to take a bottle! Or else make people understand that b-feeding is a natural thing and they are just going to have to accept that I have to feed my baby in public…covered with a blanket.). The drive home went much smoother….no tears.
Here’s to limited tears on our flight home! Although I will say I am okay if she does cry a little or even a lot. Babies cry. It’s just a part of life. But it will be hard for anything to ruin my happiness on that flight….we will be going HOME!!!!!!!!
I LOVE this photo of us! That's our SA church in the background, Gracepoint.
And real quick- how am I? I’m doing good. My work-outs are definitely doing the trick and I am able to fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans. Very excited about that one! Gabrielle Reece has certainly whipped me back into shape…although I still want to work on getting my tummy and thighs toned. I will get there! Mark my word!
Daddy and Charlotte at Bryanston Organic Market
Daddy's first try with the carrier. He said he felt like a Mom.
Our little sweetness.
Charlotte's favorite activity: thumb sucking. (her RIGHT thumb...)
I love Daddy and Charly time.
More and more smiles every day!
2 comments:
so sweet! love her smiles. good thing you are coming back to the states...no one cares about breastfeeding in public or at least if they do i dont pay any attention :) I'd rather have a calm baby then deal with the screams. Plus lil mister refuses to take a bottle so I have no option. BTW you should look into a MOPS group when you get back. I love mine here and wish you were moving this way so you could join mine :)
Hahaha, I love the smiles too!
Post a Comment