Friday, September 17, 2010

Pineapple-Walnut Cookies


After raving about my Great-Great Grandma's cookie recipe on here and on Facebook, I have received a few requests for the recipe. When I was preparing for my wedding, my cousin Trisha had everyone bring a recipe to my bridal shower. My Great Grandma could not attend, but she did send me a couple of recipes (it was her mother's recipe). At the time, I didn't have the time for baking, so the recipe sat in my cookbook. Until last weekend when I stumbled across it and decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did! These cookies are super delicious- especially fresh from the oven and/or with vanilla ice cream. Sooo, my friends, without further ado, here is the recipe. Enjoy!

You'll Need:
1/2 cup shortening (you could probably do butter instead)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 beaten egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup broken walnuts

Great Grandma says:
Cream shortening and sugars. Add egg, pineapple, and vanilla. Next, add dry ingredients and mix together. Add nuts and mix well. Drop by teaspoonfulls on an oiled cookie sheet. Bake at 425* for 10 minutes. (I say you could bake at 350* depending upon the heat of your oven. Wait to take the cookies out until they look firm and golden!)

TIP: Great Grandma also suggests DOUBLING the recipe so you can use the full can of pineapple. That's what I did and I think it has worked out quite nicely :)

Let me know if you have any questions! And enjoy these yummy cookies! I think I am going to go warm me up a couple right now...



No comments: