Now, I knew just from how my body has felt that our little lady has been growing like mad. I just wasn't thinking she had grown THIS much!
When we first arrived for our appointment, I talked with the Doctor about how I want to go "all natural" and avoid pain relievers, etc. I also discussed creating a Birth Plan so that the Doctors and Nurses understand exactly what I want during the labor process. The Doctor seemed quite supportive.
Then we got set up for our ultrasound. Doctor was surprised to actually SEE that our daughter already has a HEAD FULL OF HAIR!!! Ben and I laughed about this. (Seriously, you can see her hair on the ultrasound, it's incredible! But we don't have pictures...I'm sorry...) We took note of the fact that our girly is sitting just right, head down, feet up into my ribs...perfect position to set up for "all natural."
Then the Doctor checked her weight. A few times. There was no denying the fact...we got us a BIG GIRL inside me. When the Doctor told us her weight, the Doctor then turned to me all serious and says "there is basically NO WAY you can push this baby out naturally." Oh dear. (Is it all of the carrots I eat?? The water I drink? My exercise? Abundant rest??) Yeah, so I allowed a few tears to escape. At this point the Doctor relaxed a bit and said, "I just want you to prepare for the fact that you might need to have a c-section. It's not for sure yet...she could have just had a growth spurt, but I just want you to prepare." She then asked Ben and me who was the "big baby." Funny, Ben and I were both around 6 pounds, so it's quite surprising our girl is already so big!
I was most concerned about not getting to hold Baby Girl right away. In our antenatal class, we were told that they don't give the baby to the mom straightaway after a c-section. It's more like 10 minutes. And I want to hold my daughter first thing after she is born. I want to know she is okay, I want to see this precious gift from God...I want to tell her I love her, kiss her, hold her close and see the miracle. When I expressed my worries to the Doctor, she assured me that I would be able to hold Baby Girl first thing. Then they would take her and clean her with Ben right there with her the entire time. So I felt a little better....IF I have to go that route.
I'm not scheduling a c-section just yet. I still have hopes to do this "all natural." I know plenty of petite women who have delivered big babies in the past couple of years...so I know it is possible. We plan to see how Baby Girl grows between now and our next appointment in two weeks. If she is still big....(which she will be....if she is already 4 weeks ahead....)...and the Doctor is still concerned, I plan to ask what risks there are in at least TRYING to still go "all natural." The c-section rate here in South Africa is 75%. Due to this percentage, I am inclined to believe that many women are talked into having a c-section when they don't really need it. I don't want to be talked into something that I don't need to do. Because I really have been preparing myself for the "all natural" route....and I do believe I can do it.
I'm not complaining. I know we are very blessed to have a healthy Baby Girl and pregnancy thus far. God has certainly kept us safe and for that I am very thankful. Plus, if she is 9 pounds, that's a big chunk of the weight I will have to loose after she is born. I just had my heart set on "all natural." And I don't like surgery...not one bit. But if it is what is best for Baby and Me....and especially if it is the way God has planned for this little lady to be born, then I am completely fine with it.
Thank You Jesus for our healthy Baby Girl. :)
1 comment:
Sorry Amanda. :( But know God has the whole thing planned out already and He will get you through it. Also, just because this baby may have to come via csection doesn't mean all your babies will.
I would say if I could go back and I knew a c-section was most likely I would have foregone the 48 hours+ of labor I had to go through and had it scheduled. I only say that because trying all natural for 48+ hours, then getting the c-section made my recovery that much longer. I know for whenever we have another baby I will have the doctor check the positioning and such weeks before the babies birth so I can plan ahead of time if we will have to have another c-section. So that I won't have to go through laboring again if I don't need to.
I know though that it must be hard to hear this. You will be in our prayers and keep us posted! Love you
Post a Comment