Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?!?

There are many people who will be quite perplexed by the title of this blog. Why? Because it is pretty common knowledge that I am noooo sports fan...especially not football. I have disliked football for as long as I can remember. 1- I didn't like how angry it caused people to be. 2- I didn't like how long the games were (and I thought they were boring). 3- I didn't like how the majority of the players paraded around the field, particularly after scoring a TD. 4- I didn't like how people would get drunk and watch the game, thus transforming into an angry rabid football fanatic.

So, you might wonder...why HAVE I titled a blog "Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?!?" Well, my friends, I am still not a football fan by any means. However, I have been roped into creating a Fantasy Football team for this Football season. Yes, my friends, I am in the Connell League...primarily for men.

If you know the history of the Connell League, you understand that it is a MAN's league, composed of many manly men related to my husband, my bro-in-laws and father-in-law. It is a place where the guys really know their players and make pain-staking decisions as they draft their players. A league of strategy, technique.... It is a league of much "heated" competition and "trash talk." It is not a place for a lady, especially one such as myself.

And yet...I have broken the mold, my daughter as my side-kick.

You see, I didn't plan to be a part of the Connell League. The plan was for MY brother (Brock) to join the league with a team of his own. And up until two hours before the Connell League draft...this was indeed the intent. However; Brock was in a pickle. His computer was broken and he could not even get online to join the league, let alone be a part of the draft. That left the Connell League with 9 teams...and they needed an even number.

So I made the sacrifice. I bit the bullet. I put aside my football phobia and pulled out my game face. For the love of my husband, my bro-in-laws, father-in-law and other Connell League relatives...I was willing to make this drastic plunge.

Thus...my team, "Connelladies" was born. I toyed with a few different names, even contemplated throwing a version of our daughter's name in the title just for kicks....but eventually settled on "Connelladies." It seemed the best name to sport in a league of many manly men.

Ben asked if I wanted to use his special "Fantasy Football" magazine to assist me in my draft picks. I declined. He also told me I should sit next to him during the draft so he could help me. Again, I declined. We ladies were doing this on our own: female fashion. I cared not to know stats and projections for the players and teams this season. I had a strategy all my own.

Who needs stats and all of that jargin when you have the guy's name and photo on the screen, after all?

As I read a few of the guys' names out loud, Ben began to correct me on a few of the pronunciations. DeAngelo Williams, Running Back (RB) for the Carolina Panthers, in particular. (Haha, I never even knew there was a team named the Carolina Panthers!) Ben said his name with the A as an "apple" sound. I said it with the A as in "on" sound.

I stopped reading the names out loud and quickly put together a list of my picks: all guys with cool, catchy names and happy, smiling faces. A happy team makes for a happy season, right? And before I knew it, it was time for the live draft.

Now, if you've never been a part of a Fantasy Football draft, let me just say it is quite intense!

The countdown began and I found myself getting all anxious as one by one, each team "owner" chose his first draft pick. And then? It was my turn.

I chose DeAngelo (DeONgelo) simply so I could pronounce his name the way I like. Turns out this was a wise decision.... Ben was immediately disappointed.

As the draft continued, I found myself trash talking with the rest of them. Getting all excited and "yelling" at the computer when one of "my guys" was snatched up by another team. And...dare I say it...having fun.

The draft ended and I assessed my team roster:
*Peyton Manning QB (the only one chosen by direction from Brock!)
*Marques Colston WR (chosen for his first name, one of two not smiling...but he has smiling eyes!)
*Dwayne Bowe WR (a happy looking guy, and also a KC Chief!)
*Mike Sims-Walker WR (he had the best name out of the WR's I was assessing...the second and final non-smiler)
*DeAngelo Williams RB (we discussed his name earlier :) Bonus- he has a great smile!)
*Beanie Wells RB (need I say more? I'd think it's obvious!)
*Visanthe Shiancoe TE (cool name, nice smile)
*Knowshon Moreno RB (he's a happy looking chap with a cool name)
*Devin Aromashodu WR (he also had a smiling pic and interesting name)
*Kenny Britt WR (such a friendly looking guy!)
*Clinton Portis RB (he has a kind smile as well...)
*Alex Smith QB (the only one smiling out of a group of guys for one of my last picks...)
*Bernard Berrian WR (this guy's smile even causes his eyebrows to smile!)
*Ryan Longwell K (quite a jolly lookin' fella!)
*Dallas Defense....(it's what was left....but Dallas is good...I think?)

So, those are my guys. My bro-in-law Chris has been pleading with me to do a few trades, but I'm not going to do it. I feel a kinship with my guys already. We gotta stick it out for the season together, win or loose. Plus I figure...if Chris, such a manly man himself, desires my players for his own team...they must be good, right?

Let's hear it for the Connelladies! We're going to have a great season, right boys!? :)
*









No comments: